News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Early Warning Signs?? - Inflamed toe

Started by sgrault, August 07, 2017, 11:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrault

Hi there

Just wondered if you could tell me if an inflamed toe could be an SLO early warning sign? My Beardie Bandit did not appear to have done any damage to the pad, paw or nail and the nail appears normal. He's just licking the thing and its looking very inflamed. Am I just being terribly hyper??

Hope you can help

Regards

Sue

Catherine

It is usually the nails that are the problem. See here: http://cimda.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Perhaps he knocked his toe or got stung by a nettle or trod on something sharp. Is he still licking it? Maybe something has gone into it. Have you checked right underneath his foot in-between the pads?

Does he appear well otherwise? If so just soak the foot in a little salty water, rinse, dry and then add something like Sudocrem and then cover his foot with a small sock or bandage. It could be his licking that is making it worse.

Keep an eye on it, hopefully it will soon look less red if he can not lick it. Oh and keep an eye on his temperature just in case it is infected.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Sue

I would say no to your question.  If the sore is isolated to one toe then as Catherine suggests it is probably a trauma.  Could it be a grass seed that has travelled inside and is out of sight?   Warm salt water is the old favourite and as already suggested some antiseptic cream.  Manuka honey is an incredible healer too.  It is used in conventional medicine more and more these days.  If it doesn't heal then perhaps you will have to get it checked out just in case there is a foreign object inside.

He can do a lot of damage and cause secondary infection is he licks it too much, so watch him.  They are crafty then your back is turned.

Jo