CIMDA/vasculitis - night time high temperatures, rapid breathing, sore joints

Started by Alex Duncan, July 24, 2017, 09:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Duncan

Hi

My name is Alex and I've just joined this forum because my 3.5 year old collie Labrador cross Tilly has been diagnosed with CIMDA with vasculitis. She has been admitted and readmitted to hospital several times because after 2/3 days she deteriorates particularly at night with high temperature and excessing breathing caused through the pain she is in ( we have been told) and after her medication. Whereas on a morning she is walking about and her temperature is normal?

Is anyone else experiencing this? Are we letting Tilly do too much and should she be totally rested during the day to avoid her suffering at night?

Alex

Jo CIMDA

Hi Alex

I am sorry Tilly has vasculitis. How long ago was she diagnosed?  What drug regime is she on and what dose is she on now?

I presume she is on prednisolone and if so do you give one dose a day or is the dose split into two?  Does she have marks on her skin?  Sorry for all the questions.

The correct drug regime is crucial to the outcome and it should bring the symptoms under control and eventually she should achieve remission.
  If she is on prednisolone then take a look at this drug protocol.  It is the best I have come across and can be confidently used as a guide.

Example: Reduction Protocol for prednisolone:

Clinical Immunology of the Dog & Cat , 2nd Edition,  by Michael J Day
Professor Michael DayBSc, BVMS(Hons), PhD, DSc, DiplECVP, FASM, FRCPath, FRCVS 

Professor of Veterinary Pathology, University of Bristol, UK and WSAVA - Chairman of Scientific Advisory Committee.
This example is based on a dog receiving an induction dose of 1.0mg/kg/q 12hrs (q = every)

Dose                           Duration (based on clinical effect)
1.0mg/kg/q 12h                          10-28 days
0.75mg/kg/q 12h                       10-28 days
0.5mg/kg/q 12h                         10-28 days
0.25mg/kg/q 12h                        10-28 days
0.25mg/kg/q 24h                        10-28 days
0.25-0.5mg/kg EOD                    at least 21 days
0.25-0.5 mg/kg every third day      at least 21 days

Every reduction is made after consideration to improvement of clinical signs, blood results and side effects of the drugs.

"Doses above 2.2mg/kg/day do not give more immunosuppression but do cause more side effects. Many internists believe that prednisolone doses should not exceed 80mg per day, regardless of the dog's weight."  Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook Eight Edition.

Jo