News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Addisons and vaccination

Started by patp, May 24, 2012, 03:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patp

Hi
Does anyone know whether Addison dogs can take a vaccination? We have lifetime plans to travel and Willow needs to have a Rabies vaccine on order for us to do that.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Pat

Now your girl has been diagnosed with Addison's disease the autoimmune damage to the adrenals has been done, but this does make her a genetically predisposed dog.  She may only ever have Addison's but she may sometime in the future go on to develop another AI disease and no one can say whether or not this will happen.  Many dogs with Addison's develop hypothyroidism later in life but that is a fact and there is nothing you can do about it.  We all try to limit the trigger factors.  Vaccination is a potential tirgger, but that does not mean that it will trigger anything off.  I don't believe it will harm her because she is Addisonian, it is just another trigger factor to consider.  There is an article in the files about vaccination that you may find useful. It is a personal decision and one best made after you have done your research and when she is stable.

Jo

patp

Thanks Jo, that helps a lot. I did ask my vet and she didn't have a problem with vaccinating Willow.

Jo CIMDA

Personally, I wouldn't vaccinate any dog that has had an AI disease but if you want to travel with Willow then you have to decide if you want to vaccinate her for Rabies or not travel.

Jo

Lovemedogs

Hi Pat,
I agree that it is a very personal decision. In the early years post diagnosis for TJ, I still had him vaccinated. My vets considered that if he got something like Lepto or parvovirus he would have a much tougher time getting through it than if he didn't have Addison's. In later years, I only had him done for Parvo and Lepto as these were the prevalent diseases around where I live.

Btw, nice. To see you here

Pam
Charlie, Tommy and Lotte

Walcop

Hi all,

Walter was diagnosed with Addisons before he was 2 yrs old. He had his booster vaccination and a Relatively short time later he had a rabies shot, not long after he started to show signs of being unwell, and low and behold he was diagnosed with Addisons.

Now this of course won't happen to every dog, however I can't ignore the "coincidence". Walter has not been vaccinated in nealy 3 years and added to that I don't put the "spot on" type pippettes on his neck anymore- this used to trigger another few weeks of Walter being unwell (colitis type symptoms) until I got it under control.

It's  do or die/ rock and a hard place situation.

Steve an Walter (bearded collie)
Walter - Bearded Collie, Addison's.

gschellinger

I have to tell you, I am neurotic about vaccinations...Since Lola had all her shots at one year, at the rescue, while sick and having her spay at the same time. Followed by all these years of difficulties and illness. Now of course I have never ever vaccinated her or given her flea stuff etc. Not in all the years we have been together, 8 1/2 now. But my other dog, who is also a rescue, has the same neurotic owner. She was one yr. when we adopted her. She has also been jabbed by the rescue, then spayed, and all this right after she had weaned her puppies, and at the tender age of 10 months herself. She has no problems except for a grade 2 murmer. But I am loathe to vax her for anything. I just can't do it. The vet I use knows me and doesn't bring it up. He knows I am sort of traumatized by what Lola has lived with. But the other vet has actually told me how if my Boston bit someone, they would snatch her away and cut her head off to send it away for testing! Good thing I have a brain.  Still I am delinquent and I admit it. I live in the DANGER zone with my sweet Boston.  Haha. Not losing any sleep either.
g.
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Walcop

Hi G,

Well done you for sticking to your guns against the vet...........especially the one who told you about chopping your dogs head off.......what absolute nonsense.

If I had listened to my previous vet who would not listen to me I would still have Walterr on 10mg of preds a day :o

We have to get a balance of listening to our vet and doing what we feel/know is right for our dogs. I was sold on my current vet when he said to me that he was not an expert on every animal or condition and open to discussion with owners as they see their dogs 24-7. My previous vet ws
As equally not an expert in every such area but he just would not listen.

Steve
Walter - Bearded Collie, Addison's.