News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

stella pred reduction

Started by shawkyelisabeth, May 21, 2012, 02:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawkyelisabeth

Thank you so much, Jo!
Cecil is fine, vet is happy with her, hervoesophagus   shows only  a weekness in the wall at the beginnimg and one in the end, but with the wet puppy kibble in small doses she is doing very well  and has never  regurgitated since that one episode.  And it is also hoped that this will not deteriorate. She is 28 Kilos already and a bundle of energy and joy and sharing her due place now beside Stella in all our hearts.
Hugs
Elisabeth

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: shawkyelisabeth on April 11, 2013, 07:02:38 PM
Thank you so much, Jo!
Cecil is fine, vet is happy with her, hervoesophagus   shows only  a weekness in the wall at the beginnimg and one in the end, but with the wet puppy kibble in small doses she is doing very well  and has never  regurgitated since that one episode.  And it is also hoped that this will not deteriorate. She is 28 Kilos already and a bundle of energy and joy and sharing her due place now beside Stella in all our hearts.
Hugs
Elisabeth

28kg already!!!!

I do hope this will all settle down - if it hasn't done so already.  She sounds such a lovely girl.

Jo

shawkyelisabeth

Back home from surgery.everything went well and now I just have to pass the post op period of six  weeks not yet fully functioning.. Cecil is with my daughter and very well, she is having her first heat right now and growing to be a young lady, I am so much looking forward to be running again with herin the garden and taking her to the beach....heat is already setting in in Egypt so we try to keep her cool ....many regards to everybody at CIMDA
Elisabeth

Jo CIMDA

That's great news Elisabeth , now all you have to to is be a good patient and get well again. At least you won't be tempted to chase after Cecil.  She will be a changed, grown-up girl by the time you get her back.

Take care and get well soon.

Jo
x

Shannon

Hi Elisabeth,

Hope you're all healed up really soon. Cecil will be so glad to be back home with you I'm sure! Coop sends licks and wags to the both of you :)

shawkyelisabeth

Big hug to Coopi..I am getting better every day and Cecil, with a lot of respect of my walker ,does not leave my side whenever I can sit beside her..
All the best to you
Elisabeth

shawkyelisabeth

Unfortunately Cecil is goving us some head ache these last few days. I had to have my kitchen sprayed against rodents and had her and the pack locked in our big crate in the garden (that has  plenty of space for the four of them) overnight until cleanup to make sure none of them would be harmed. She ate the dry kibble of her companions leaving her soaked kibble.As always she gulped it down with plenty of water afterwards and I was too late to prevent her from doing so. In the evening she vomited a little bit of saliva but was very lively and normal. The next morning she vomited all her food , first grass thatbshe had eaten in the garden and then the kibble. She drooled excessively and licked her mouth in an unusual way with the tongue in and out very quickly. I send her to the vet and she vomited saliva twice on the way.
Her vet did an xray with barium contrast medium and it revealed that her mild oesophagus issue, though still diagnosed as mild, had adcvanced a bit, now showing three weak spots in the oesophageal wall, after initially showing only one at the first incidence.
Her vet prescribed her Nexium and Motilium, he excluded poisoning  and said she had hyperacidity.
She didvery well the next day, lively, eating her own moist kibble plus frozen joghurt in Kong, stools ok.
When she started to vomit saliva again mynvet advised to put her on fluids for two days. So yesterday she got Joghurt with apple sauce which she loves, she was lively . At midday she started to vomit saliva , then ran in the garden, eating a lot of grass that the vomited again afterwards. When there was nothing left in her stomach any more she vomited green bile with a lot of liquid..the water that she drinks excessively.
She ate a good portion of mashed potatoes in the evening with good appetite, she seems to be very hungry.
My vet phoned me in the evening to see owshe was doing and advised to give her a Zantac injection to help stop the vomiting  which I did, and suggested we bring her to the clinic today for IV infusion. I suppose he is worried about possible dehydration.
She is still sleeping now and I will get up to check on her hopefully finding that she has not vomited the potatoes from yesterday.
Since my vet is off today and one of his colleagues will see her at the clinic I willwait until the afternoon to  see how she is doing and then decide if we will go to the clinic to get her IV infusion? I will mostbprobably send her, even if she is better, I think an infusion cannot be harmful and only help her overall condion.
her vet will only be there tomorrow.
Please give me your opinion, I am as always too much worried, that comes with having gone through too much mAybe.
Thank you and hugs to everyone
Elisabeth

gschellinger

Hi Elisabeth,
I would be worried just like you. Having gone through what you did with one dog makes one very vigilent with another. A bit like post traumatic stress, I think. It's how I am with Bizzy. Afraid of a rabies vax even though she has never shown any sort of immune disorder.

I would take the side of caution and have her looked at, if she were my dog. I have a hard time getting over all the lessons Lola taught me.
g.
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Jo CIMDA

Oh Elisabeth, it is such a worry for you, on top you your own issues.

Does your vet think Cecil's problem is regurgitation/reflux due to her megaO or does he think she has some form of gastrointestinal disease? Is she having problems taking in food and water, or is the stomach simply rejecting it?  I presume they have considered a blockage. Are her stools soft? How about doing a full biochem blood test?  Sorry for all the questions.  The drugs she is on seem appropriate and hopefully this will all settle down as it did before. It might be just one thing she ate that has set off this reaction. I do hope so.  Keeping her rehydrated is a good thing.

Let us know how she is later.

Jo

shawkyelisabeth

Sorry Jo of not getting back to you quicker,  but I had a very stressful time these last two days.
After finding Celia again having vomited all her food in the morning I sentnher to the vets where she was given an IV infusion. They said she had a severe irritation of the stomach most probably due to something she had eaten or maybe to have ingested some of the chemicals (i would exclude that since the other dogs showed no sign of it and she was away from it all the time, but one never knows)
Coming home from the vets she was better and in the evening gulped down all her wet kibble plus rice with chicken. No regurgitation or vomiting!! Thanks God!!
This episode was  not related to her mild MegaO.
The stomach was simply rejecting any kind of food or water, no problem with the intake.
Her stools were soft but no diarhea.
She is good now, has lost some weight, but the vets said she should not gain too much weight quickly, since she has a predisposition to Dysplasia and she should not climb stairs.
There is nothing difficult about thatto deal with, but I ask myself, is it the breed that is so prone to all kinds of diseases and issues? Are there no healthy GSDs out there? She is a puppy from a well known reliable Austrian breeder or is it that there is just no way to get a 100 percent healthy dog.
I have a 14 year old beagle, MR. Justin, who has never had a single health issue all his life , running aboutbfreely in the garden, watching over my sheep and cattle, eating cheap Egyptian dry kibble all his life and althoughngetting a bit slower these days has never given us a moment of concern.
The same with his 9 year old daughter that I kept from a litter of six and our 11 year old mix Swiss shepherd and beagle. They are all the least cared for and the healthiest!
Thanks Jo  and Gail for sharing these issues  although they are not AI related.
Hugs Elisabeth

Jo CIMDA

I'm sorry you have had a couple of stressful days Elisabeth.  I hope things have calmed down now.  Unfortunately, GSD's do have a number of health issues but I hope they would have the HD problem in hand.  I know there are no guarantees even if the parents are hip scored but, the breeders should do their best and only breed from low scoring parents.  GSD are prone to digestive problems too but I am hoping Cecil will grow out of the previous problems she had and as you say this last episode isnt connected.  It could be that a dog like Cecil would be more senstitive to any potential trigger for gastrointestinal problems and, whereas something won't affect your others, it may affect her.  On a personal note I have had gastric problem in the past and there is a homoeopathic remedy that I found very good and that is nux vom.  I don't know if homoeopathic remedies are available in Eygpt but it might be worth looking into.  Also, I always keep activated charcoal in stock just in case something nasty is eaten.  It can push the toxins through the body (liver) much quicker and hopefully minimise the damage.

Aren't you lucky to have Mr Justin and his daughter?  What a pleasure!

Jo

shawkyelisabeth

Thank you Jo, Cecil is back to her normal food, but with the heat getting quite high these days eating less. can you give ice cubes to a dog? She does love her deep frozen Kong with Joghurt.
She sends you wags under the watchful eyes of Mr Justin who has taught her manners ( although he is only half her size) and whom she respects a lot and has learned to treat tenderly feeling that he is not able to run about and play with her  as much as she would like to. Its a joy to watch how much dogs can give to each other not only to their humans.
Elisabeth

gschellinger

Lola loved ice cubes. I gave her the kind which are softened up by floating them in water for a while. One day I gave too many and she shivered for a while. So they do cool the dog down. Wtih Cecil's sensitive tummy you would not want to give too many until you found out how she was with them. I think right from the freezer they are too hard and could cause tooth damage. Does Cecil like to swim? maybe a baby pool in your garden would help her cool down.
gail
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

shawkyelisabeth

Running out of Cecil s Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice kibble I brought from Austria I now have to look for what is available in Egypt. I wanted to switch to Taste of the Wild but unfortunately it seems not to be imported any more. So I can get Royal Canin Rice and chicken specially for GSDs . can anybody advise me if this is good? I remember to have once heard it could cause allergies?
I used to feed her raw meat once a week, but switching to raw completely does not seem easy.Any ideas?!
Thank you.
Elisabeth

I am careful with ice cubes and let them melt like you did Gail.
cecil will get swimming lessons by a friend in the pool, she loves to splash in the water, but does not getit how to swim and I am still not fit enough yet to teach her..but we have a lot of fun!