News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

stella pred reduction

Started by shawkyelisabeth, May 21, 2012, 02:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: shawkyelisabeth on July 18, 2012, 03:33:23 AM
I think the bleeeding is from one nostril and there was very little  mucuous as far as I have seen but I will have a closer eye on that. During the night there were also some blood drops on the bathroom floor with some clots.

****She may have a polyps or ulceration, or a foreign body up her nose. I think she is too young to think of anything sinister. It is possible she has aspergillosis but there would be other purulent discharge. Are her eyes watery?  I presume she has no other skin lesions. 

As Angela says, her platelets are within range so the bleed wouldn't be due to an immune mediated disease.  I don't live in a hot country so I have no idea what the extreme heat can do.  You are more informed and if you say this can happen to dogs in hot countries then unless other clinical signs become apparent you can only put it down to that and hope with the antibiotic treatment she is having it will all subside in time.  Such a worry, but blips happen and you have to believe that it is just that - a blip.

Fingers crossed.

Jo

shawkyelisabeth

Yes Jo hopefully it is a blip, some foreign body maybe, no other ulcerations, My vet tells me it can happen with the heat, she gets a tablet for homostasis twice daily for 4 days and a cold wrap around her nose every now and then which she obviously enjoys! She is still on antibiotics, eating but very little ,  that doesnt worry me much any more, stools ok and lively in the evening when we have a bit of a cool breeze, I give her an antiphyretic with the antibiotics although I am not able to take her temperature. I judge it by her behaviour, head down feeling her gums,, not eating etc.. I am optimistic and do not relate it to preds tapering (any more).
Thank you all, big hugs and I want to send some degrees of our around 45 Celsius of heat we expect  today to good cold old England! Elisabeth

shawkyelisabeth

No news is good news! Want to keep you updated! Thanks GOd Stella has gotten over the blip as Jo calls it (I like this word!) She is off antibiotics now and I have thrown all her other medications away except for her 5mg pred eod, a gastroprotectant, vitamins twice daily. She is back to normal, sleeping most of the day because of the heat but very lively and playful at night in the cooler breeze, her leg weakness also has disappeared , I keep her away from the air condition because I am afraid she might catch some respiratory tract infection. I hope so much she will stay stable now especially that I will be away for two weeks to Austria leaving her with my daughter and with some relatives alone for a few days and since she is ver y much attached to me we are already training h to get used to her dog sitters so not to feel lonely when I leave, I hope she will be alright, I have become so much attached to her that I am really worried about how she will cope. Oh how much easier it is with my Beagles, who just run about wagging their tails at anybody!
HUgs and thanks to all of you for your support in this minor crisis, you've helped me al lot like always, especially with the nose bleeding that was a frightening issue for me but thanks god seemed to have been nothing serious.
Greetings from Egypt Stella and elisabeth

Angela

That is very good to hear Elizabeth, I'm sure you will have issued very careful instructions to Stella's sitters.  Enjoy yourself in Austria!

Hugs
Angela (AIHA & Addison's)
NSW Australia

shawkyelisabeth

A big hug across (how many) ponds to Australia, thank you Angela! Elisabeth

Jo CIMDA

That is so lovely to read Elisabeth.  I'm so pleased Stella is back to normal.  Try to put the nightmare behind you otherwise your stress levels will soar (even more).  5mg EOD is perfect and she can stay on this dose for a very long time, with no detriment!  You have managed her in such a sensible, logical way - which is great.

I hope you have a good trip to Austria.  I'm sure you will welcome a cooler climate.

Jo

Penel CIMDA moderator

This all sounds like good news, I hope Stella is ok while you're away and that you have a great trip Elisabeth.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

gschellinger

We love good news. Have a great trip Elisabeth. Try not to worry about Stella while you are away. So happy to hear about Stella  :)
gail
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Angela

Just one rather large pond Elisabeth, the Indian Ocean :)  Even then I am on the east coast of Australia so there is a large desert (the red heart) in between also :)
NSW Australia

shawkyelisabeth

Dear all :) this is Elisabeths daughter Lisa, who is currently taking care of Stella. I just wanted to give you a quick update on how she has been. Unfortunately she was a bit weak yeaterday and today morning and had a loss of appetite so my mom told me to give her antibiotics every 8 hours. They worked like a miracle. After the first dose she was already more alive and alert and she ate. Does this mean that she might have some infection due to the reduction of her preds? She is still on 5mg every other day. Should i keep on giving her the antibiotics?
Thank u so much :) lots of love all the way from egypt

Angela

Hi Lisa,

Yes, we suspect Stella has an infection so she needs to finish the course of antibiotics to help clear whatever she has.

Good luck with Stella sitting  :)

Hugs
NSW Australia

Penel CIMDA moderator

Hi Lisa,
you're doing a great job looking after Stella.  As Angela said, you should keep giving the antibiotics until the course is finished.  Hopefully the rest of your dogsitting will be ok.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Jo CIMDA

Hi Lisa

How is Stella now?  I hope she is continuing to so better.
Jo

shawkyelisabeth

Hi, Jo I am on my way from Salzburg to Vienna on the train and on the net for the first time in days and checking on cimda, thanks for your concern. I am told Stella is fine I am worried though, I am back on Friday and hope to find her well, especially her bloods, will keep you informed, many greetings from cool and beautiful Austria!

Jo CIMDA

Hi Elisabeth

It sounds as if you are having a lovely time on your holiday.  I'm sure you will be relieved to see Stella again though.

Best wishes
Jo