advice on feeding urgently needed

Started by DW, June 05, 2016, 03:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

I would be so glad of advice from others on this problem - I'm sure it has been experienced by one or two...

Prior to diagnosis, Harley was always a fussy eater.  Find the food he liked and he ate but would quickly 'go off' that and it was a constant struggle trying to get him to eat.   I have since read that this could have been one of the many pre-cursors for IMTP but hope it isn't, as I fear that we may be heading for relapse !

Harley's appetite has very gradually slowed and though I am getting food down him and his weight is around 32kgs (he is only a small-built retriever), it is a huge struggle.
I am currently giving a mix between home-cooked food (Fish mainly/Turkey/Vedge/occasionally Beef etc) and he alsohas R.C. Sensitivity, which, though he doesn't need to be on a prescription diet - he took a liking to my other dog's dry food that we need to use as he has sensitivity issues.
He looks well, they both do - coats shiny and Harley has plenty of energy but his appetite is getting a real problem again.   Breakfast today was mixed fish,
Asparagus(he loved this)Yam etc., and when I put it down he just went and sat in the corner of the kitchen.    Eventually I tempted him by adding some grated cheese on the top but he didn't eat with his usual gusto.

I am wondering if I should try raw?   What do others think?  I have always been anti feeding raw to dogs with A.I. issues I have to be honest but I am starting to re-think.   Also, if others do feed raw in the U.K., what do they feel is the best?
I won't feed raw bones.

Thanks for any help
Gwyneth

Catherine

I assume Harley's kidney etc. levels were okay at his last blood tests?
Is he still lame at times?
Is he a reasonable weight? If so I would I would reduce, for a while, the amount of food you give him. I know it sounds strange when I dog is not eating much. But I have found that reducing the food (sometimes by quite an amount) for a few days or so will tend to sharpen a dog's appetite back. You could even stay at giving him less as long as he is obviously not getting too thin. I have found that some commercial dog food give too high an amount in the feeding guidelines.

As regards raw feeding (or even any drastic change of diet) I personally would not want to do that with a AI dog, especially whilst still reducing the medication. With a fussy eater, there is nothing to say the dog will not get fed up with the new diet as well.

Jo CIMDA

HI Gwyneth

It might be that the effects of the steroids are wearing off and Harley is returning to his normal 'fussy eater' self.  He may not be heading for a relapse.  Try something unusual to tempt him with like putting some salmon or tuna or cheese on top of his meal.

Jo

DW

Thank you both Catherine and Jo - two bits of good advice.

I am sure that this is Harley returning to old habits, as prior to diagnosis, he was always a terribly fussy eater and at the start I didn't make him this way (I would put his food down and if he didn't eat it I threw it away and he waited for tea....always, I hasten, or nearly always, he would all our major part at tea time then !!  So Catherine, you may well be right and I will reduce.
In honesty though, I tend not to go by the recommended feeding guides, as they always over-estimate I feel (they want you to buy more perhaps?).
Let's say as an example, Harley should be getting around 360grms of dry each day.....I always feed my own home-cooked and use the compl;ete dry as you would a biscuit mixer so I only give him around 100grms (sometimes a little less) with each meal.   His weight is only around 32kg which is o.k. (as he isn't a large-boned Golden) but I wouldn't want him any less than this, so I have always thought I had got the amounts about right.   I do the same for Jazz, though he has a little bit more as he is a bigger-bones dog but because of his age (10) I don't give him that much more, as I hate fat dogs.

Perhaps I will try and just give a handful of the complete dry with my cookedmeal and see how we go with that.    I do worry that this might be a sign of relapse though, as I am sure I read it can be a sign when they go off their food?   His platelets were absolutely fine two weeks ago so that is what is
keeping me hopeful.

I will also try using a bit of tuna  etc., Jo, although my own food that I cook is always varied - he gets an assortment of fish/mince/turkey etc. and I give spinach/broccoli/carrots etc - so he gets a big variety.

Gwyneth

DW

Catherine Hi

Sorry forgot to add that yes, his bloods were fine, kidneys etc.   Liver enzymes still elevated though./
Lameness not there but he is 'sensitive' depending on what he is walking i.e. doesn't like walking on pebbles but not lame.
he is very flat footed and has elongated feet as well...........all down to the meds I fear.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Gwyneth

I can't remember Harley's initial clinical signs but usually dogs with IMTP don't show many obvious clinical signs until their platelets are exceptionally  low.  Their appetite usually remains normal even when the platelets are just below the reference range.

I think it is him getting back to his normal fussy-eater self, which is good news. He also knows how to keep you on your toes Gwyneth!

Jo

Clover

I did still feed mine raw even while she was on meds. It's just the only food she can digest (IBD/ colitis). She didn't have any problems, even while on an immunosuppressant for a year.