News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Pimple size lumps in one ear

Started by BrookeR, November 12, 2015, 09:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookeR

Not sure if this is anything to be concerned about. But I noticed a small pimple sized lump in peps ear a few days ago. It is just a little hard lump the size of a small pimple, almost like an ingrown hair. Tonight I noticed 4 more running diagonally down towards her ear canal. I'm not sure if they were all there originally and I didn't notice or if they have since came up. They don't look pussy or have heads on them and can only be seen if you look at her ear on an angle closely. Basically you can barely see them, but have to feel to know they are there.
I've never seen these on her before. I'm wondering if they could be some type of fungal thing or a side effect of cyclosporine or a sign of something else? Ordinarily I wouldn't do anything yet and would just keep an eye on them until I next saw my vet. But My vet is going to be away for a few weeks after next Wednesday, so I'm wondering if I should bother her by taking pep in to check these out? Whether I should put some fungal cream on? Does anyone have any ideas on what they may be?
Thanks.
Brooke with
Pepper, the English Staffy (IMPA since Dec 2014)
NSW Australia

Jo CIMDA

Hi

It could be a fungal, yeast or bacterial infection - don't forget Pepper's immune system is below par. 

You could try some fungal shampoo such as Malaseb

Jo

BrookeR

Thanks Jo. That's where my thoughts were too . I will try some malaseb and see how I go. It cannot do any harm.
She has had black dry flakey spots that started in her ears and spread on her back since being on the cyclosporine. I have been managing these with malaseb. They only appeared when we went up to the 200mg per day dose  & Since reducing the dose back from 200mg to 150g they have began disappearing. The ones on her back cleared and the ear ones still were lingering so I put some fungafite cream on them for 7days and they are almost gone too.

Hopefully as we drop down again, as we continue to wean her, all these problems will resolve and are just being caused by the cyclosporine & immune suppression.
Thanks
Brooke with
Pepper, the English Staffy (IMPA since Dec 2014)
NSW Australia