Thrombocytopenia

Started by Alison68, May 12, 2015, 02:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alison68

I'll ask the vet about the bone marrow when i see her and ask about anti inflammatories. Bella eats 3 or 4 times a day she tells me when she wants food, she'll bark for food and demands it when she wants it. If she's asking for food she gets it. I'll update you after the 9th April and tell you how things are going. Thanks Jo

Jo CIMDA

Alison68

Hi jo, bella's had her pcv test done last Monday and again today. Last week pcv was 37 and its 40 today. So it's going back up to normal because it was down to 30. The vet sent blood to the lab today to check her coagulation. She was on about checking for dic. She did say maybe bella's had a small bleed in the gut somewhere previously and that would explain her pcv levels dropping a few weeks ago. She's gained her weight back on in two weeks and gained weight again today.

Jo CIMDA

That is brilliant news.  I wonder if the previous blood sample had clotting which would have lowered the reading and given an artificial low result.  This is very common. 

Whatever it was, she is on the up and that is great news.

Thanks for the update

Jo

Alison68

Hi jo, i haven't posted in a while, things have been really good with Bella, her liver enzymes are back to normal and have been for quite some time. Bella turned 7 in November, her weight has increased over the past 6 months or so and she's been holding her weight. Bella hasn't had any antibiotics for more than 6 months. She's been doing fine with out them. Bella's a picture of health when she had her check up this week the vet said she has a liver problem but considering that bella's doing fine and looks really good.

Jo CIMDA

That is great news for Bella - and for you.

Liver enzymes have to be relatively high before there is any real concern, and there are a multitude of things that can make the liver enzymes go up, and it is often temporary, so don't worry at this stage and just keep an eye on it.

Thank you for this update on Bella.

Wishing you both a happy and healthy 2019.

Jo

Resnake

Glad this story has a happy ending! I hope Bella is doing even better now.
I think all you need are these insulated hunting boots if you're going on camping trips.

Alison68

Hi Resnake, yes Bella is fine and hopefully she will be for time to come. Bella's a fighter and she's proved the vets wrong and keeps bouncing back. She's been through a lot in the past five years. Thrombocytopenia first and then calcium deposits on her legs and a liver shunt that can't be repaired. It's 3 years since she was diagnosed with a shunt.

Alison68

Hi jo, just an update on Bella, her thrombocytopenia relapsed in march and Bella had to stay in over night for treatment, she was put on 50mg steroids and given vincristine. Her platelet count was back to normal in a week, she's been on 15mg steroids  for  two weeks. Had her blood results for this week and platelet count is around 70 with a few clumps, so she's staying on 15mg for another month. Bella's blood platelets were ok for around four and a half years. I know that they can just suddenly relapse so I'm not worried about. This week I noticed a little bump in between her toes on her back foot, it looks like an interdigital cyst and the vet took a look at it Wednesday and wasn't too worried about, I can't remember what the vet said it could be.  Bella's doing fine and recheck bloods in a month.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Alison

It is always very disappointing when these AI problems return.  At least you know that Bella responds pretty well to treatment but it is still exhausting - yet again!

If her platelet count was 70 but with clumps,  then you know the true count is much higher.  Perhaps next time they can use a bigger needle, to avoid any sample damage and,  if they don't already, then take the sample from the neck as opposed to the leg.

As Bella is a whippet, and they are much more sensitive to steroids than most other breeds, just keep an eye on her  adverse effects of the preds and if her clinical signs suggest then perhaps have another blood test before the month is out and if necessary reduce the preds a bit sooner.   The adverse effects of the preds can be a problem after a while. 

As for the thing on her toe, it could be several things including  an interdigital cyst or just  an infection.  Personally, if Bella wee mine,  I wouldn't want her put under a general anaesthetic for investigations, for fear of it triggering another episode of AI.

Many years ago I knew a bulldog who had interdigital cysts and this was successfully treated with Dorwest herbs, Garlic and Fenugreek and I think they also gave mixed vegetable tablets too.  It might be worth checking with your vet if Bella can take this or having a chat with Dorwest. It might be something to consider after the treatment for IMTP is finished.  See this link:

https://www.dorwest.com/common-problems/interdigital-cysts-in-dogs-cats/

Fingers crossed that the next blood test will show a rise in platelets, and at least a sample without clumping, so that you can have an accurate result.

Jo

Alison68

Yes I'll be keeping a close eye on her regarding the pred's because five years ago while she was being treated for the first time she had thrombocytopenia she ended up with bad calcium deposits on the inside of her back legs due to being on steroids for 18 months and we had to quickly get her off them and her legs healed up nicely once the steroids had been dropped to a very low dose and she finally came off them.Bella's eight and a half years old now and still proving that she's determined to keep on living no matter what life throws at her. I want be doing anything drastic with the little lump on her toe. Her platelet count will more than likely be higher next month because last time she was on the steroids her platelets would drop a bit when she was on lower doses, it's just the way she is. Hopefully next month she'll be able to drop to 10mg a day. I'll keep you posted with how things are going.

Jo CIMDA

Best wishes for Bella.

Fingers crossed!

Jo