Steroid Responsive Meningitis ?

Started by Elaineb1624, October 02, 2014, 09:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherine

Have you had Lois tested for Hypothyroidism? There is a good chance the thinning hair and dry skin is still due to the steroids but there is also the possibility that a low thyroid could be making it worse.

Elaineb1624

Thanks Catherine,
    Jo has seen pics of Lois and we both agree right now to do nothing as it looks like steroids related. Jo has suggested the thyroid test also but for now i will see how she goes with some EFAs and vitamin E. I dont wish to stress her further with vets visits. She has no other symptoms to suggest any need for that.
I appreciate your response nonetheless.
Elaine.

Elaineb1624

Hi Jo,
     Lois is on 2.5mg steroid  every third day now, she has two more weeks on this dose at the timescale of four weekly stints we have always done. Shall i stop at that point like I did before on the first time around,this  is a first relapse. Would you continue longer or have any other suggestions of what to do now if anything? She has been on steroids since January 28th and has had no probs other than her thining coat which we spoke about recently.
     Kind Regards.
    Elaine.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Elaine

2.5mg pred every third day is an extremely low dose and you can just leave it off if you want. There is no therapeutic benefit but some say reducing the dose even further before stopping altogether will maintain homoeostasis. 

So you have a choice - you can just stop it;  or increase the duration, eg., give 2.5mg every 4th day for a couple of weeks and then every 5th day for a few weeks etc.,  and then stop it altogether; or you can reduce the dose and continue to give it every 3rd day until you are giving 1mg per day and then stop altogether.

This is anecdotal evidence and is not in the vet books.  The vet books will say if a dog relapses for the second time then it might be best to keep the dog on a low dose of steroids for life, but I have known so many dogs who have relapsed a few times and ultimately have come off of steroids for the rest of their life because the last stages of treatment have been taken extremely slowly.

You have already taken the last stage very slowly, and this is why you have the choice.

Jo

Elaineb1624

Thanks Jo,
     We are going to go to every 4th and then every fifth day this time, we stopped at the every  third day last time,  so as she is older and if we take it slower still we can live in  hope she doesnt relapse again.
    Many thanks,
   Elaine.

Jo CIMDA

That is very sensible Elaine.  To be honest if she stayed on this dose for ever it wouldn't harm.

Jo

Elaineb1624

Hi Jo,
     How long before Lois looses her weight?  She is still a real pudding despite being on light diet and lots of exercise. She never really lost it all last time around but that was ok as she was lean betore she was taken poorly and a poor eater but now she isnt. Curious?
     Elaine.

Elaineb1624

Hi Jo,
     In addition  to my short message above, i would like to ask a quick question for a friend who has a dog with a supposed nail infection, its been swabbed and shown bacterial infection but after 6 weeks of antibiotics the dog has had  brief respite and now lame again, i am not sure of many details but i said  i would ask on here  as i knew one AI issue effected nails. Do you have any pointers for the lady as the vet has now suggested fungal treatment which she is planning to start. So far its inly effecting one nail. Have you any suggestions i can pass on please.
  Thanks in advance.
   Elaine.

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: Elaineb1624 on August 30, 2016, 06:11:40 PM
Hi Jo,
     How long before Lois looses her weight?  She is still a real pudding despite being on light diet and lots of exercise. She never really lost it all last time around but that was ok as she was lean betore she was taken poorly and a poor eater but now she isnt. Curious?
     Elaine.

Hi Elaine

It is very difficult to say because steroids produce fat deposits - or redistribution of fat -  in certain parts of the body, neck, loins etc., and this will eventually subside but it may take time.

How long is a piece of string?  I would say when her hair starts to grow back then you might see the fat gradually disappear, but it won't go away overnight.

I am so pleased she is doing well.

Jo

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: Elaineb1624 on August 30, 2016, 06:37:01 PM
Hi Jo,
     In addition  to my short message above, i would like to ask a quick question for a friend who has a dog with a supposed nail infection, its been swabbed and shown bacterial infection but after 6 weeks of antibiotics the dog has had  brief respite and now lame again, i am not sure of many details but i said  i would ask on here  as i knew one AI issue effected nails. Do you have any pointers for the lady as the vet has now suggested fungal treatment which she is planning to start. So far its inly effecting one nail. Have you any suggestions i can pass on please.
  Thanks in advance.
   Elaine.

Hi Elaine

The immune mediated nail disease in dogs is called Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy (SLO).  SLO eventually affects all nails on all feet, so it is unlikely that your friend's dog has SLO, but it maybe that other feet aren't involved yet.  Other causes of nail disorders are numerous and if your friend hasn't seen the internet sites below then I think it would be a worthwhile visit.

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dog-nail-problems.html

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/grooming/nailconditions.htm

Unless the first digit of the toe is removed and sent away for analysis then treatment is usually speculative.  Personally, I think this diagnostic requirement is a step too far, especially as the results could be inconclusive and so you are back to treating speculatively again. 

The most common reason for a single claw to be affected is bacterial or fungal infection, so the route her vet is taking is probably the most logical.  Of course, it could be that the antibiotics already used were not correct for the specific bacteria that might be causing the problem and perhaps a different antibiotic could be tried.

If more claws become affected and on different feet then it is very likely to be SLO.  Certain breeds such as whippets, bearded collies and greyhounds are very prone to SLO.  I have SLO seminar notes if she would like a copy then please email me privately, but at this stage I don't think it is relevant.

Perhaps she could look into using some supplements like Natural Vit E.

I hope this fungal treatment will do the trick.

Jo

Elaineb1624

Many thanks for the info Jo. I will pass it on.

Elaineb1624

Hi can anyone tell me is prednicare and prednisilone the same?
Please

Jo CIMDA

Hi

Prednicare and prednisolone is the same. 

Prednicare is a trade name for the generic, prednisolone and the active ingredient is the same.

Jo

Elaineb1624

Hi CIMDA,
           I would like to give a big shout out to this amazing group. I am currently dealing with my third AI whippet and two of those are residing with me now and enduring SRMA. Litter sisters.
Without this group the isolation would have been  unthinkable. One is in remission and the other has  only just started her journey.

So Thank you to everyone on here. We all help each other. Its usually so stressful when our dogs are so poorly we dont think to  thank those that dedicate their time to guide us through this with their unquestionable knowledge.
Take a bow CIMDA.

Catherine

On yet another grey, rainy day, it was a lovely surprise to come onto the forum and read your post, Elaine.

How sad that you are once again having to deal with autoimmune disease. I hope you can soon get your other dog into remission.

I joined CIMDAsupport many years ago when my dog became very ill with AIHA and the members' support and advice helped to save my dog. I wanted to try and help and support others with ill dogs, but at the same time I have learnt (and am still learning) so much as treatments, medications etc. change.

Thank you for your post. I know how stressful and time consuming it can be with an ill dog but I hope you can continue to post with your advice and information when you can.