Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Steroid Responsive Meningitis ?  (Read 42959 times)

dmdee

• View Profile
Re: Steroid Responsive Meningitis ?
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2020, 09:20:53 PM »

Jo!

You are more than helpful, thank you again. Final question I have for now, until I update you on the results of the MDR1 test.

Zora's current antibiotic is listed as a problem drug on the MDR1 page. She has 11 more days of 250mg of Ciprofoxacin. Would you advise to continue this drug or tapper her off. I do understand the importance of finishing antibiotics as they can develop poorly if not finished.

Thank you!!!
Danielle

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2020, 09:54:08 AM »

Hi Danielle

There are lots of different drugs on the MDR1 gene mutation list and not all will affect those who have the mutation.  Sometimes the dose is relevant eg., high doses may affect the dog but not lower doses, so if Zora has coped well with the drug this far, it suggests that she will be fine.

You are so aware of the bigger picture, I am sure if you will know, just by looking at Zora, if she is not right and you need to change things.

Fingers crossed she will just go from strength to strength now.

Jo

P.S.

Just a note.  When a dog is on a course of prednsiolone, it is important that the dose is tapered, and reduced over a period of time, and not suddenly stopped.   Many other drugs, like antibiotics, can be stopped without weaning down, but not steroids.

dmdee

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2020, 08:34:32 PM »

Hello Jo,

Just wanted to update you on the status of the dog. She finished her course of antibiotics and was tapered off the steroids. She has one more dose tomorrow of 2.5mg then she will be finished according to the prescription. The MDR1 gene mutation test came back normal/normal so that was not the cause, I guess.

Zora is still doing a lot of twitching when she is sleeping in the middle of the day and in the evening. She wakes up from the twitching but really seems to be out of it. It is very hot where we live and that really seems to affect her because when we took her in cooler weather she had a lot more energy. Here in the heat she is very slow and lethargic.

I skipped her 3rd parvo booster because I did not want her to be affected negatively. I also do not know if I should continue to give her  HeartGuard.

Zora does not seem to be all the way better as she is low energy and very twitchy and spacey. I do not really know what to do at this time.

Thank you so much.

dmdee

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »

I am also wondering if this could all be heat induced?

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »

Hi

Heat can be very hard for the dogs to tolerate, especially heavily coated breeds.

I presume the vets did blood tests.  Do you have the results?

Dogs should only have vaccinations and non-essential  (and preventative) medication if they are absolutely fit and healthy, so until you know what is troubling Zora, it might be prudent not to give her anything that she doesn't need. 

As she finishes her steroids today it will be interesting to see, over the next week or so,  if there is any change in her clinical signs.  I think it is a case of observing her now and responding to any changes.  If nothing changes but she is still 'out of it' then  perhaps you should have a follow-up blood panel done to see if anything in the biochemistry, or complete blood count, has changed.  If you have the original blood test results you can compare them to the current ones.

Does Zora eat and drink normally?  Are her stools normal colour? 

Jo

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]