Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Villain Update - Infection  (Read 6031 times)

kezdean24

• View Profile
Re: Villain Update - Infection
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »

Hi - By way of an update. We're still within the first stage of the heightened pred levels (7.5mg twice a day) together with anti biotics and zitac and we've decided we're going to take it right up to the 28 days before attempting to reduce. He's doing ok - eating well, putting a little weight on but I had a question about his behaviour & toilet habits for anyone who may be able to help.
I'd say he was currently healthy but there isn't an ounce of playful ness in him. Sometime we'll get a waggy tail and he won't leave the female dog alone! however, he does come across as depressed. He's also struggling with his bowl movements and it takes him a few attempts to go. Are these known side effect to pred?

thanks
Kerry x

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

Hi Kerry

Thanks for the update.  It is the preds that cause lethargy, muscle weakness and depression.  Also. it is likely to be his muscle weakness that is causing him to struggle with his bowel movements. Look in the files and you will find an piece written about what to expect when treatment has started.

How long has he been on the preds?  ALWAYS, clinical signs must be taken into consideration when deciding the duration of the steroids and you must be prepared to change your mind if the clinical signs suggest that the side effects of the preds are becoming too much.  It is all about achieving a balance of, the resolution of the disease and the side effects of the preds.  You do get better at this the longer you have a dog with AI disease but it is always a bit 'suck it and see' to start with.  Is he still wanting to eat?  Have a read of the article.  I hope it will help you.

Jo

kezdean24

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »

Thanks for the ultra quick response Jo! All makes sense and absolutely I'll take a look. He has a ravenous appetite - loves his food. When I spoke to the vet last week about the first reduction etc (he was on day 16 then day 22 now) he recommended the 28 days so that we weren't attempting to do anything unsupported over the jubilee period. I think he's definately nearing the right time to reduce but understand why the vet wants to push it out.
We're going down to 7.5mg in the morning followed by 5mg at night (so that we're not trying to cut the already incredibly small tablets into quarters!).

Thanks again.
Kerry

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »

That sounds great Kerry and to be honest the small amount you are planning to reduce won't make that much difference if he is going to relapse, so if you feel (and trust your instinct) that he is suffering a bit too much because of the pred dose then I suggest you ask your vet if you can reduce it earlier.  Your vet has to rely on your information on which to base his decisions on so don't be afraid to say it as it is.

It sounds like he is on his way to remission.

Jo

kezdean24

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »

Thanks Jo.
Pages: 1 [2]