News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

YoYo's surgery

Started by Janspack, December 05, 2013, 05:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janspack

Hi all,

Tomorrow 6th December, my Addisonian/HypoT dog YoYo is having surgery to correct Laryngeal Paralysis.  Please send positive vibes our way - I know he has to have this surgery but I'm really worried for him.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP

Janspack

I heard from the vet at 1.30 and YoYo has done well through the surgery.  He's up and even been out for a pee in the surgery's garden!   I will hear back from them later this afternoon as to whether he will be allowed home tonight or if he will come home tomorrow.

Big relief but I know that now is the time when complications such as aspiration pneumonia can occur. He's going to need a lot of care for several weeks to come.
Jan & the Pack

Grumpy boy

Hi Jan

So glad that it went well. I know that it will be a bit of a long road ahead but you must be SO relieved that Yo Yo is through this part.

We were thinking of you when we were out for our walk and hoping that it had gone as planned

Very best wishes.

Eve

Amshura

Jan if it is any help I have had 2 dogs in the past having had surgery for LP, it is not an uncommon condition in the geriatric Afghan hound, sometimes even younger. One of my dogs was 11 yrs old at time of surgery in the 1980s a6ty Bristol Vet School, the other turned 12,his surgery being performed at Cambridge and BOTH did very well,  enhancing the quality of their autumn years.

Yes post-surgical  aspiration pneumonia is  a   complication that always has to be considered but I have never had  any problems, remember   to  keep the food dish  at a raised level.
I do have lots of information on this  condition here if you have any  further worries.
Geoff Lane at Bristol did a lot of work  with my breed in the 1980s. I also know of a dog that i bred who had tie back surgery in his 16th year & went on until almost 17, a very great age in  my breed.
Good Luck
Sylvia

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: Janspack on December 06, 2013, 02:34:42 PM
I heard from the vet at 1.30 and YoYo has done well through the surgery.  He's up and even been out for a pee in the surgery's garden!   I will hear back from them later this afternoon as to whether he will be allowed home tonight or if he will come home tomorrow.

Big relief but I know that now is the time when complications such as aspiration pneumonia can occur. He's going to need a lot of care for several weeks to come.

Great news Jan.

Jo

Lovemedogs

How is YoYo doing today Jan ? I hope all is well and that you are managing ok to do whatever you have to for him.

Bug hugs from me,

Pam

Janspack

Quote from: Lovemedogs on December 07, 2013, 10:12:25 AM
How is YoYo doing today Jan ? I hope all is well and that you are managing ok to do whatever you have to for him.

Bug hugs from me,

Pam

Hi Pam,

I collected him from the vet at 7pm yesterday.  We had a bit of a disturbed night because he is coughing quite a bit.  Not the same gagging type of cough he had before but more like a mild kennel cough.  I'm sure this is to be expected as there must be a lot of irritation and  some swelling in his larynx.

I have hand fed him some tinned food with his tablets hidden in that and he took a few "meatballs" before he said he'd had enough.  I'll try him with some more in an hour or two.

Thanks for thinking about him.

My vet is on duty all weekend and has said to phone if I have any worries, so that is good.
Jan & the Pack

Janspack

Quote from: Grumpy boy on December 06, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Hi Jan

So glad that it went well. I know that it will be a bit of a long road ahead but you must be SO relieved that Yo Yo is through this part.

We were thinking of you when we were out for our walk and hoping that it had gone as planned

Very best wishes.

Eve

I appreciate that Eve,

It's a bit up and down at the moment and he is still pretty unsteady on his legs but I'm sure over the next couple of days, things will even out. 
Jan & the Pack

Janspack

Quote from: Amshura on December 06, 2013, 09:30:36 PM
Jan if it is any help I have had 2 dogs in the past having had surgery for LP, it is not an uncommon condition in the geriatric Afghan hound, sometimes even younger. One of my dogs was 11 yrs old at time of surgery in the 1980s a6ty Bristol Vet School, the other turned 12,his surgery being performed at Cambridge and BOTH did very well,  enhancing the quality of their autumn years.

Yes post-surgical  aspiration pneumonia is  a   complication that always has to be considered but I have never had  any problems, remember   to  keep the food dish  at a raised level.
I do have lots of information on this  condition here if you have any  further worries.
Geoff Lane at Bristol did a lot of work  with my breed in the 1980s. I also know of a dog that i bred who had tie back surgery in his 16th year & went on until almost 17, a very great age in  my breed.
Good Luck
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

I'm not really sure what to expect and what I should worry about.  He is coughing quite a lot and his breathing is faster than usual but not noisy - did your dogs do that?  It isn't the choking/gagging cough as before the surgery though so I imagine it's because of the inflammation etc in his larynx.

He has eaten a little - some walnut size meatballs from tinned food.  Had to put his meds in that because of course, he can't be without his Florinef for the Addison's.  I'm just going to feed him little and often for the first few days.

What an amazing age for any dog 17 yrs!! Wow.  My collie Toppa made it to 16 last year when I lost him.  The oldest dog I've ever had.

Jan & the Pack

Janspack

[/quote]

Great news Jan.

Jo
[/quote]

thanks Jo,  glad that the surgery is over at least.
Jan & the Pack

Penel CIMDA moderator

HOw is he today Jan - it's great to hear the surgery went ok and I hope the inflammation is settling down a bit now too.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Janspack

Quote from: Penel CIMDA moderator on December 07, 2013, 04:01:11 PM
HOw is he today Jan - it's great to hear the surgery went ok and I hope the inflammation is settling down a bit now too.

Hi Penel,

Thanks for asking.  You've seen YoYo through quite a lot with me haven't you?  I remember when he went to have his adrenals scanned at your vets and you met me there with him.  CIMDA was the main reason that he survived his initial crisis - if I hadn't read about it on the group, I wouldn't have known what was wrong and not pushed the vet to test for Addison's.

He's of course been very quiet but he did actually get up and come for his supper instead of waiting for me to take it to him.  He ate about 5 meatball size pieces of tinned food then that was enough.  He is coughing less this evening too so that's good.

I'm feeling less stressed about him than I did this morning.  A way to go still I know but so far so good.
Jan & the Pack

Penel CIMDA moderator

I remember Jan.  He's a lovely dog and I really hope this op is the start of him having some good quality life for a long time yet.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Janspack

Hi everyone,

Not such good news this morning.  YoYo collapsed this morning and couldn't get up.  As couldn't get him into my car (I'm in a wheelchair) Graham, my vet, came out and took him back to the hospital.

Initially we were thinking it could be his Addison's but his electrolyte values are fine.  He apparently has been able to get up by himself since he got to the vets but is still very flat.

One of his liver enzymes is a bit high but because he's been dealing with other emergencies, Graham hasn't had a chance to look back at his previous bloods to see if that was something that he has had before - because of the Pred.  I seem to remember that one was at the high end of normal when he had a blood test a few weeks ago.

He is now running a temperature and one lung has a small area that is crackly so it looks as though its aspiration pneumonia.  Not what I wanted to hear but Graham is reasonably confident that he will get over it as it is very early stages.

He's on IV fluids and been started on IV antibiotics.  His gums are still pink and he isn't cyanosed but his breathing is a bit quicker than usual.  The op site looks really good - no sign of infection or undue swelling.

I'll keep you posted - got to phone them back around 5pm. At least he's in the best place where he will be monitored 24/7.  It's very disappointing but from what I've read, not unusual in the early days after this operation.

Jan & the Pack

Grumpy boy

Any new Jan?

Do hope that YoYo is beginning to pick up. You are lucky to have such a fabulous vet.

It does sound that all the signs are positive though. Try not to worry.

Best wishes