YoYo (Addisons & HypoT) now has Laryngeal Paralysis confirmed.

Started by Janspack, November 28, 2013, 02:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janspack

Hi all,

Been a while since I posted as things have been going OK with YoYo.  His HypoT has finally come under control and his Addison's - well thats always been very stable.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that he was having real breathing problems.  He would cough and gag and then (it's hard to describe) do a long drawn out honking noise.  His bark now sounds more like a sea lion than a dog.

This morning, he has been to have a laryngoscope done at my primary vet.  Graham, the practice owner, phoned me to say that the diagnosis of LP has been confirmed.  It's bilateral so it's surprising he hasn't had even more problems than he has.  Because of his Addison's, Graham didn't want to do the tie back under the same anaesthetic so he will be having the surgery next week.

I'm ashamed to admit that his teeth are really dirty so that could cause an infection risk when he has the operation so they have scaled and cleaned them today and will put him on a covering anti-biotic.

I'm glad that we finally have a diagnosis because the differential was a tumour but I'm really worried about the tieback surgery.  He has to have it done as he could go into respiratory distress at any time but he's an older dog (12 1/2) and has other health worries so it is frightening.

They have also found that his back leg reflexes are there but quite slow so the official diganosis is Geriatric Onset Laryngeal Paralysis and Polyneuropathy - GOLPP - less of a mouthful.

Please send positive vibes our way for next weeks surgery.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP

patp

Oh my giddy aunt! Sending lots and lots of positive thoughts your way.
Try not to worry about the anaesthetic too much. They are dealing with a known condition - it is the unknown that cause problems  ;)

Janspack

Quote from: patp on November 28, 2013, 04:12:12 PM
Oh my giddy aunt! Sending lots and lots of positive thoughts your way.
Try not to worry about the anaesthetic too much. They are dealing with a known condition - it is the unknown that cause problems  ;)

Thank you.  You are right of course.  I would say the same thing to other people but when its your own dog, its different isn't it?

I've just got home with YoYo and he had to have two teeth out.  Really glad that they did the dental as well.
Jan & the Pack

Grumpy boy

Sending lots of good wishes.

I know only too well what you mean when you say 'but when it's your dog it's different....'

Hope Yo Yo has a good rest tonight. Try not to worry and thanks for your reply to my other post.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Jan

At least now, after all the uncertainty, you know why YoYo has been having these problems.  He has come out well from this GA so that is very encouraging for next week's GA,  and surgery for LP is usually very successful.  I do feel your anxiety though.  Lots of good wishes for YoYo.  Keep us informed Jan.

Jo

Janspack

Thanks Jo 

Yes it is a relief to get a diagnosis.  As you know, his symptoms aren't typical - as my dogs never are - as he didn't have stridor, just the gagging etc. 

I found a video on You Tube of a dog that made exactly the same noises that YoYo does and sent it to my vet and that helped him with the diagnosis.  When he did a physical exam of him on Monday, he found that as soon as he put a tiny bit of pressure on his neck that his breathing sounds changed a lot.  Adding those two things together he was pretty sure it was LP.

He's not having the op til Friday as Graham rang to say he would have more time on Friday 6th than Thursday.  Only one extra day.  Better to be done on a day when the vet isn't under pressure.

Hope your Cushings girl is doing better?
Jan & the Pack

Jo CIMDA

She's not too bad thanks Jan.  Her recent season mixed the hormones a bit, but in a good way.

Jo

Janspack

Hi Jo,

Glad to hear she is still doing OK.  I'm really sorry but I've forgotten her name - my memory is awful these days.
Jan & the Pack