Intro

Started by Pawsforthought, May 03, 2012, 12:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawsforthought

Thanks Penel I am now with the new forum.

I am Penny and have been a member for a number of years although I do not post much.  My CIMDA furkids were Whisper and Torin who most of you knew and helped.  If it hadn't been for CIMDA and the great members Whisper and Torin would never have received the correct diagnosis from my wonderful and now retired vet Peter.

I had a wonderful little brown beardie with SLO - Flynn, again many of you new him.  I have never actually spoken to you about his loss as he was not a CIMDA boy although SLO is an auto immune disease.  He was just  7 years old when I lost him.  I decided to watch a late night film so Flynn and Bonnie were in the garden, their favourite place in the evening.   When I called them in only Bonnie came, I found Flynn collapsed with no colour, Peter no longer had out of hours emergency service so I rushed him to the emergency clinic which took forever.  The outcome was Flynn's spleen was ruptured and his abdomen was filled with blood, I had to leave him but was told that outcome was not good.  6 am Sunday morning the vet rang to say he had removed Flynn's spleen but he was still critical.  Later that day I was advised that against all odds Flynn was fighting and could be taken, by ambulance, back to Peters on Monday, unfortunately Peter was away for a few days.

There was no reason for the spleen to rupture, he was fine that day charging around on his walk in normal Flynn fashion.  Biopsies were done all appeared negative, he came home Monday night, I took holiday from work to keep a 24 hr a day watch.  I wasn't happy with a few things and spoke to the female vet whose "care" he was in - I wasn't happy with the one long suture the emergency vet had done as it appeared loose and was leaking, however my vet decided it was ok, just sponge and keep it clean.  I was ringing every day because of little nagging things: the suture, the fact that Flynn appeared constipated and I requested that I take Flynn to see her but again was told it wasn't necessary.  That evening (Thursday) his suture started to come out so I rushed him to Peters, when we got there I had an almighty row because they had just closed and they told me to go to the emergency clinic (at least 1/2 hour drive).  Fortunately the head nurse was still there - Flynn's stitch has completely unravelled and his intestines were out.  The nurse rang the vet (not the original "idiot")who came at once  but wouldn't allow me to stay.  I later had a call from Peter who miraculously had come back early and was now at the surgery, they operated on my boy, flushed him out, put everything back and stitched him up.  It was midnight and Peter rang to tell me  Flynn was stable, he rang me again about 4am Friday and said Flynn was awake and bright so he was going home and they would ring me at 9am so  I decided to go into work for a few hours that morning as there was no point going to bed.  When  the vet rang I expected her to tell me Flynn was fine instead she told me that when they came in at 8am he was dead.

No-one knew why this all happened but I told Peter that I held his vet responsible for her lack of after care and refusing to listen to me when I kept phoning her.  Now Peter has retired and it is this vet that has bought the surgery!!  I live in Carshalton, Surrey anyone know of a Good if not A Great vet in or around that area.

I still have Bonnie and a young slate beardie call Zach (16 month old OTT boy )

Penel CIMDA moderator

Hi Penny,
I think Steve Carter at Priory Vets is great.  Not sure if it's a bit far for you though.  He moves around the 3 practices - Banstead, Tadworth and Reigate.  As you know i've been through rather a lot of vets too!  ;)
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Jo CIMDA

Hi Penny

Writing Flynn's story must have been very hard for you.

I'm so pleased so many people have successfully managed the migration. 

Jo