News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Pred and teeth

Started by moss, October 29, 2013, 07:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moss

Just a question, out of curiosity about Prednisolone and teeth prompted by a comment on another thread.
Sunny is only 2 and has rubbish teeth, at least a couple of molars are very worn/broken.  I wondered if Prednisolone is known to affect teeth?
Jacqui x

Penel CIMDA moderator

hmm I'm not sure.  We know that pred given to puppies can have an effect on their bone development so i would imagine that would extend to teeth as well.
I know that certain antibiotics can have an effect on teeth as well, especially if given when they are youngsters.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

moss

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: moss on October 29, 2013, 07:43:27 PM
Just a question, out of curiosity about Prednisolone and teeth prompted by a comment on another thread.
Sunny is only 2 and has rubbish teeth, at least a couple of molars are very worn/broken.  I wondered if Prednisolone is known to affect teeth?
Jacqui x

Hi Jacqui

This is  an interesting question that I can't answer, but I have a dog with naturally occuring Cushing's syndrome, which is an excess of corticosteroid just like a dog on high doses of preds, and her back teeth are very broken and really need to come out but it is too risky to have them removed by general anaesthetic.

Jo

Janspack

YoYo too (Addison's/HypoT) has dreadful teeth and had to have a dental and 2 extractions last week.  He is 12 so more expected than a young dog but he has been on Florinef which contains a cortico steroid for 10 yrs

I've been on Pred too for 7 years and my teeth are dreadful but not sure how much is the Pred and how much is just general poor health over a long period of time. Maybe a bit of both.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP