News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Help - elevated liver enzymes

Started by Cherryl, June 22, 2013, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cherryl

Hi All,
Many of you long-time members should recall my Lakeland Terrier (Paco) who was diagnosed with SLE at 3-1/2.  He will be 12 in August and has been relatively healthy for the past many years.  His last hospitalization was about 8 years ago for Pancreatitis.  Has not been on any steroids for years.  Over the past several months he has had episodes of vomiting for a few days and does not want to eat.  It then clears up.  He is refusing to eat unless I hand feed him and this has been going on for over a week so he went to vet today for blood work and X-ray.  His liver enzymes are really high (prior blood work in January was ok).  Did not see any mass in X-ray and going for ultrasound on Monday.  As we have just moved 7 months ago, we do not have the vet hospital nearby like our prior location.  His white cell count is ok.  Vet is looking for cancer and somewhat at a loss as to what is going on.  I remember he took milk thistle when on the steroids, do you think I should do tis again?  Any thoughts would really be appreciated!  Thank you.
Cherryl
Cherryl & Paco (SLE), South Carolina (formerly Pennsylvania)

gschellinger

Hi Cherryl,
Nice to see you on CIMDA again, but not for the reason you are here!  I think Milk Thistle is fine to give. I haven't heard about it being a problem with cancer or other conditions. No expert of course, but I would give it. I gave it to my Boston years back when she had elevated liver enzymes and it brought them back to normal for a while. Have you had a thyroid panel done recently? I would do that, since Paco is an SLE dog, you never know.
Best wishes for Paco...a true CIMDA success.
gail
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Cherryl

We were encouraged last night as he ate his dinner with gusto and then played with toy.  This morning I had to hand feed and a short time later vomited 5 times.  With his history, I immediately think is he having a Lupus flare, Pancreatitis, thyroid, something new?  Vet said white cells were ok, but alt and ast (?) we're very high.  Anyone with suggestions or thoughts, please reply.

Janspack

Hi Cherryl

It's good to hear from you again but not in these circumstances.  I'm so pleased Paco has done so well.  He's about the same age as my Addison's boy, YoYo and it's so hard to come terms with their advancing years isn't it?  I agree that it isn't likely to be anything  to do with his Pred treatment - I'm sure it would have shown up much sooner.

I don't know what I can advise to be honest as liver problems aren't anything I've had to deal with.  A friend's Border Collie who collapsed at an Obedience show was given less than a week to live due to a tumour on her liver.  However, with lots of love and care this dog lived for over a year extra and had a great quality of life in that time.  I don't know the specifics of treatment she had - but if I can, I'll try to contact the owner if you'd like me to if your worst fears are realised.  Lets pray that it won't be anything so drastic though.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP

gschellinger

Sorry to hear Paco is vomiting. It's worrying. Lola vomited all night when she had pancreatitis. I don't have any ideas for you. It could be so many things. I wonder about his thyroid. Does he have any hair loss, incontinence, eye trouble, wt. gain? I hope he improves soon. Such a handsome terrier.
gail
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Cherryl

Thank you Jan and Gail.  Because of his decreased appetite, he has lost weight but was not overweight at all.  I know vet is going to be looking for a tumor in his liver tomorrow when ultrasound is done even though none showed on X-ray.  We moved to South Carolina in November (actually we had to move 3 times in 4 months) and it was hard on all of us.  We are not near Philadelphia vet hospital and in a somewhat rural area where they have local vets only.  Looking back, the picky eating and occasional vomiting started about February.  It was also about this time that he was started on a new combo heart worm and flea preventative.  I was hesitant to give it to him; checked with vet and was told it would be fine.  I have no idea if ths could have caused the liver problem, but am trying to be inclusive of everything in case anyone out there has any ideas.

gschellinger

Wow, you have all been through a lot in a short time. The Possible connection between the flea treatment and his condition is something to consider. On the other hand, stress can also cause a relapse, or old age. You will probably not ever know what is causing it, if it is a relapse. I hope they don't find anything in his liver since it will surely be a better prognosis.

Thanks for updating. We 'old timers' all remember the sweet and triumphant, Precious Paco. He is a star on CIMDA, like Lovely Lola was.
gail

Jo CIMDA

Hi Cheryl

Paco is a fond memory from the past.  He has done so well.  I doubt it is a AI issue because hos white cells would be high and he would probably be running a very high temperature.  I do hope you get some encouraging news tomorrow.  Please let us know how he is.

Jo

Cherryl

Good news!  No tumors.  He has an enlarged liver and a gallbladder with sludge.  Medical diagnosis is cholestasis.  Put him on several meds, 1 being Milk Thistle, feed small meals and when I mentioned a liver detox recipe I found, said that would be a good idea.  Thanks everyone!

gschellinger

Execllent, Cherryl! Long (longer) may he live!
gail

Janspack

So pleased to read your good news Cherryl!!  At least she is now on treatment.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP

Jo CIMDA

Angela

Hi Cherryl,

I remember Paco to.  I am so glad you have him sorted and on the mend again.
Milk thistle is wonderful combined with a liver friendly diet.

Hugs old friend
Angela (AIHA & Addison's)
NSW Australia

Penel CIMDA moderator

Hi Cheryl - long time no speak  :)  how is Paco doing now on the meds?
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Cherryl

Hi,
He had last blood work done on 7/30 along with a bile blood test.  I was convinced he was getting better.  Not the case, numbers just about doubled.  Homeopathic vet described them as simply awful numbers.  He has now started Urosdial this week along with probiotics.  His diet is white fish, sweet potato, kale and for lunch chicken, white rice and kale.  Blood work to be repeated in 11 days.  After review of numbers mid-August, vet would like to get more green veggies in him.  I am sure the meds he has been on over the years could be causing the failure, but at least he is still with us.  He will be 12 on August 17 which is pretty remarkable.  He is still getting the Milk Thistle twice a day too.  Good news is that he is eating heartily, keeping it down, does not act sick and enjoying daily golf cart rides!