News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

My Border Collie JJ

Started by Janspack, June 16, 2013, 10:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janspack

Hi all,

My 8 yr old collie bitch, JJ had a tumour removed from between her shoulder blades last Thursday.  It was about walnut sized having gone from pea sized in a couple of months and although not attached to anything under the skin, it was quite hard.

Just waiting anxiously for the histology report now and keeping my fingers crossed it was just something benign.  JJ has only ever been to the vets for her vaccinations and to be spayed during her 8 years so she is generally a very fit dog.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP

Jo CIMDA

Hi Jan

I hope JJ is doing ok.  Fingers crossed the results will be nothing to worry about.  There is always something, isn't there?

Jo

Janspack

Hi Jo,

Yes, it seems that someone always has something wrong with them.  Saw the vet for a checkup this morning and she said it was a cyst-like lump but that there was some extra tissue attached to it.  Just have to wait for the histology report.  At least the wound looks good and healthy with no fluid collecting under it. I'm sure she will be OK.
Jan & the Pack

Janspack

Great news.  Vet rang with histology report and it was a cyst - nothing to worry about now it's been removed!   ;D
Jan & the Pack

gschellinger

gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Janspack

Yes Gail, gave a big sigh of relief I can tell you.  She's always been such a fit little dog - only ever been to the vet for her puppy vaccinations and spaying.
Jan & the Pack

Jo CIMDA

Hi Jan

I'm so pleased for you.  You don't have to worry about JJ now.

Jo

Janspack

Thanks Jo. 

Was a huge relief.  Now I can get back to just worrying about YoYo.  ;D   His bark has completely and quite suddenly changed.  He was in the car the other day and I heard this dog barking and couldn't believe it when I realised it was YoYo. I didn't recognise it at all. It's now very hoarse and quite quiet compared to how it was.  I suppose I'll have to get the vets to investigate because along with that and his very slow eating and cough,  something must be going on in his throat.

HOw's the maintenance going with your Cushing's Dog (sorry can't remember her name).
Jan & the Pack

Jo CIMDA

Hi Jan

A change in bark pitch can also occur in AI disease.  You are aware of the non-specific signs of AI such as an intermittent limp, upset tummy, the odd break out of sores etc, well an alteration in bark is also on that list. I know that was the first sign when Ziggy got masticatory muscle myositis, and I have heard others mention it with hypoTand MegaO.  I'm not saying YoYo has MMM (you know that)  but something is not right (even if it is not that wrong!) and as always you must trust your instinct.

We are having ups and downs with Katie.  On the whole I believe Lysodren suits her much better as she is brighter in herself but she does 'dip' a couple of days after giving her the maintenance dose, so this week I'm going to reduce her dose to 2 x 500mg tablets instead of 3.  If you have any tips, I'm all ears! She has profound muscle weakness but that is slowly improving and I just have to give her time.  Thanks for asking.

Jo 

Janspack

Hi Jo,

Sound advice as always Jo.  I'm taking him in for a T4 check again in a couple of weeks so I am going to talk the bark change through with the vet then.  Unless of course he develops any worrying signs before then.

It sounds  a good idea to me to cut Katie's Lysodren maintenance dose a little if she is having off days after taking it.  How often are you having ah ACTH test done?  I'm sure you would have had one done before starting on maintenance.  Like Addison's it's sensible to do more frequent tests in the early stages until you get her comfortable and on the right maintenance dose for her.  I certainly would rather have a dog with Addisons than Cushings any day.   Much easier to manage in the main.
Jan & the Pack

Jo CIMDA

Hi Jan

She has only had one ACTH test done since starting Lysodren but she is due another very soon. I actually only gave her 1 x500mg tablet of Lysodren and that was a day later than planned as I thought she wasn't ready for it.  As you know the clinical signs are the real indicator and the ACTH just confirms it most of the time.  I wish I could get her movement better.  I have just finished massaging her legs and she lies there as if it is her right!  Now that I have moved away she is sitting up (like a lion) and looking at me.  Talk about being subservient!   I love her to bits!

I hope this thing with YoYo goes away.  Fingers crossed it will.
Jo

Janspack

Yes you're right Jo.  You know your dog better than anyone. 

I'm not sure how long it will take to get her muscle mass back but I suspect it will take a while as you know I'm sure.  There is a lady near here in Sussex who has a thriving dog massage practice.  She deals with alot of the Agility and Obedience dogs to help keep the fit.  She also helped Muddle when we were trying to save his front leg when he had the infection in the bone.   This is the link to her website http://www.caninetherapy.co.uk/

I knew her back in the late 70's when we were both working for the vets.  She has therapists in various areas so there may be one near you.  She's a lovely person and really does some great work.  I'm sure if nothing else, she could give you some advice if you need it. Her name is Julia Roberts.  She also does day courses etc to show owners the basics of massage therapy.  If you think it might help Katie, I'm sure she would do her best to get her feeling a bit better.

YoYo's cough has got worse again over the past few days.  Since he went on Pred a few months ago, it's not been nearly so bad but now, it's back to how it was before he started on it.  I will have to go in with him again next week.  I've been putting it off hoping I was just being paranoid about him. He is insured but I have to find 20% of the vet fees now he is a "senior" and my finances have taken a huge hit since my 60th birthday last October but that's no excuse for not getting him checked out.

I'll keep you posted on what they say and I hope Katie does continue to get better.  It's going to take time I'm sure.  Cushings really has a huge effect on the body doesn't it? 
Jan & the Pack

Jo CIMDA

Hi Jan

Thanks for the therapist link.  I'm sure it works but I would like to know more or as you say perhaps take Katie to see someone. I had a lote of experience of iatrogenic Cushing's, and even lost Bonnie to it, but naturally occuring Cushings that isn't being well controlled by drugs is a different thing and it is horrible.  It is also difficult to know whether the muscle weakness and reluctance to move is due to too much or too little cortisol. Appetite is a good indicator though. 

I do wonder as YoYo's cough improved when he was initally put on preds and now it has got worse again, if a higher dose of preds is needed?  Could it be an allergy of some sort, perhaps seasonal?  Perhaps an allergy dose or even an anti-inflammatory dose of pred might be worth a try.

I wish you luck with it.

Jo

Janspack

Hi Jo,

The therapist's website is pretty comprehensive and there is a map there showing where trained masso-therapists can be found.  Can't remember what part of the country you are in but there seems to be pretty good cover over most of the UK.  Cushings that isn't responding to treatment is a real pain isn't it?  Neither Muddle nor Timba did well on standard treatment and as you will probably remember, that was why we deliberately made both of them Addisonian.  Both of them became Atypical Addisonian and never had an electrolyte disturbance so Pred was the only treatment they needed.  I do hope that Katie will soon start to feel better.

I am going to ask the vet about your suggestion of allergies although I can't say I've noticed it being worse at any particular time of year.  An increase in the Pred might be on the cards although I'm a little bit concerned about doing that as his liver enzymes were a bit elevated when he had the bloods done last month.  Nothing is ever straightforward is it. :(

I'm going to try to get an appointment with the head vet at the practice because I've known him for over 30 yrs and he was the one dealing with the cough problem and who did the bronchoscopy etc last year.
Jan & the Pack