News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

vaccinating with a heart murmer

Started by gschellinger, June 01, 2013, 01:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gschellinger

Hi group,
I have not vaccinated my well dog, Bizzy, since I adopted her six years ago. She was vaccinated at the rescue then, at one year of age. Now I would like to take her to a nursing home to visit my husband. But this home requires vaccination. I have ordered and recieved thuja and lyssin. Does anyone know if it is safe or harmful for a dog with a murmer to recieve rabies vaccine? Her vet did not try to talk me into vaccinating her at all. But didn't offer reassurance that it would not pose an extra risk, considering the murmer. This dog is very healthy otherwise, except for still having lyme disease antibodies from her infection 1 1/2 years ago. It makes me nervous to give the vaccine, oviously, after Lola  :-\  She has a zero chance of getting rabies, but of course the law doesn't care about that.
gail
gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Jo CIMDA

Hi Gail

I can't answer your question but I will email a vet friend of mine who lives in the US and I will get back to you asap.

Jo

gschellinger

gail and Lola (SLE, hereditary cerebellar ataxia, chronic undiagnosed nasal congestion) usa

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: gschellinger on June 01, 2013, 01:41:26 PM
Hi group,
I have not vaccinated my well dog, Bizzy, since I adopted her six years ago. She was vaccinated at the rescue then, at one year of age. Now I would like to take her to a nursing home to visit my husband. But this home requires vaccination. I have ordered and recieved thuja and lyssin. Does anyone know if it is safe or harmful for a dog with a murmer to recieve rabies vaccine? Her vet did not try to talk me into vaccinating her at all. But didn't offer reassurance that it would not pose an extra risk, considering the murmer. This dog is very healthy otherwise, except for still having lyme disease antibodies from her infection 1 1/2 years ago. It makes me nervous to give the vaccine, oviously, after Lola  :-\  She has a zero chance of getting rabies, but of course the law doesn't care about that.
gail

Hi Gail

My friend got back to me quickly and here is her reply:

In general you shouldn't vaccinate a sick dog, but not all heart murmurs are significant of health issues (this article would cover causes and types quite well http://rabiesvaccinefordogs.org/heart-murmurs.html ) so it would be up to the owner and vet to decide if it is worth pursuing the cause of the murmur and only then could they determine if it was truly safe to give the rabies vaccine, and then of course any dog can have a reaction. 

Hope this helps.  The vaccination issue is a real dilemma for some people.  It is never an easy decision.  I don't envy you.

Jo

gschellinger

Thanks Jo. I'm going to dig deeper for more info, and then see if I can get an exemption letter from her vet. That way she will be legal.
gail