News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

The 12 month booster following pup vaccination

Started by Ros, May 24, 2013, 06:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ros

Hello

I'm back with another question - Penel or Jo, maybe you can answer me this one?  Dex is now due for his first booster, 12 months after his pup vaccinations.  All that i'm reading in this forum is saying not to booster immune mediated dogs.  I've read your article in which Michael J Day is quoted as saying " vaccination...............is only necessary for puppies (with the final puppy vaccination around 14-16 weeks)  Duration of immunity is likely to be lifelong" So, on the face of it, that wouldn't be a problem, pretty straightforward really, with the puppy vaccinations behind us.   However,  WSAVA Global Veterinary Development Cannine Vaccination Guidelines, compiled by the Vaccination Guidelines Group (VGG), of which Michael J Day is Chairman  (Journal of Small Animal Practice  Vol51  June 2010) advises that "all dogs should receive a first booster 12 months after completion of the primary vaccination course.  The VGG redefines the basic immunisation protocol as the ensemble of the pup regime plus this first booster"  So there's a bit of a contradiction there.  If indeed the 12 month booster is necessary to complete immunity, I would not be happy for Dex's immune status to be compromised.

It's also worth noting that these guidelines, in spite of the probable longevity of immunity from initial vaccination, still recommend 3 yearly boosters for the MLV core vaccines, a protocol which my vet follows, along with an annual booster for Leptospira, this also being in accordance with the 2010 guidelines.

But my dilemma is now of course Dex's 12 month booster, since he must have it to complete his puppy core vaccine course.   My vet is currently looking into what the drug companies recommend for Dex.  I would be interested to know what Michael J Day recommends for an immune mediated dog re: this essential first booster.  Is there any way of contacting him?  This is going to crop up again of course, when further boosters become due.  Would an immune mediated dog be one for which "special conditions apply" (quote from the guidelines) ?  Also it seems he must have Lepto annually, so how do we make this safer for him?  Killed vaccine as opposed to MLV perhaps?

I want to do the right thing for Dex, I wouldn't want to increase his risk of relapsing his SRMA, but at the same time I don't want to expose him to any horrible diseases - yes, I was around .........well....... a lot of years ago!!!

My vets seem to be very clued up and still want to give him Lepto.  As I say, would be very interesting to hear what Michael J Day says if possble. 

Many thanks in advance for any help with this.     Ros

Happiness is a wet retriever

Jo CIMDA

Hello Ros

I was about to answer your points and I decided to go into the WSAVA website and look around.  I think you would be better to have a read.  At first glance it answers most, if not all, of your concerns.    Try the following links:

http://www.wsava.org/guidelines/vaccination-guidelines

http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/New%20Puppy%20Owner%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%20May%202013_0.pdf

Personally, I would have the antibody titres checked to see if Dex has antibodies to the core vaccines.  If he does then there is aboslutely no need to vaccinate again.  AS for lepto, this is a killed vaccine and therefore doesn't produce antibodies as an live attenuated vaccine would.  Killed vaccines are more likely to cause an adverse reaction, so it is something you have to go into thoroughly and be happy with your decision.  Also, unless things have changed, the lepto vaccine only covers 2 serovars and there are about 6.  You would be very lucky for a lepto vaccine to last more than 6-9 months. If Dex has a habit of going into water where rats may live and hang out then it is probably wise to vaccinate him but if he doesn't then you should do a risk/benefit assessment before you decide to vaccinate him for lepto.

The three year figure relates to the duration of the vaccine license and not the duration of immunity.  Vets will often stick to the vaccine company recommendations because this gives them some legal protection. The vaccine companies ought to apply for a new license based on the current scientific findings and guidelines.

Hope this helps.  I'm so pleased you are questioning everything.  Michael Day is based at Bristol Veterinary School.

Jo

Ros

Thank you Jo for your reply.  I have discussed all this with the vets at my practice.  They have contacted the drug company to see what they recommend. Their replies seem a bit garbled and on the fence, but one thing seems clear, they recommend that no boosters be given until 2 weeks after discontinuing the steroids.  Since Dex's steroids will stop in about 4 weeks time, they are going to hang fire and not do anything until then. 
The concern is of course that the 12 month booster is a crucial one, and parvo is prevalent in this area.  But the vets are going to get together and discuss what might be the best way forward after trying to make sense of what the drug company is saying.  But there will almost certainly be some blood testing.
Meanwhile I've had Bonnie boostered just for lepto and making sure we stick to the guidelines.  They're both in ratty water every day unfortunately so I really don't think that's optional for either of them!!!
Will keep you posted on how it pans out, because my vet practice seems really on the ball and they're going into it in some depth.  So others may find it useful.
Ta ta for now.  Ros ;D
Happiness is a wet retriever

goldiepower

Quote from: Jo CIMDA on May 24, 2013, 10:30:23 PM
Personally, I would have the antibody titres checked to see if Dex has antibodies to the core vaccines.  If he does then there is aboslutely no need to vaccinate again. 

Hi Ros

Chad had antibody titres done to help the decision process, if I recall correctly, he had a booster when he was about 5 or 6 and it was the only one he ever needed.

Paws crossed for the gorgeous Dex

Chris & the Golden Boys and token spaniel
Qui me amat, amat canem meum