News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

In-House Testing

Started by DW, May 04, 2013, 12:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

I wonder if I could bring up a point to question and see what others have experienced.

I have just been reading Roger's mail,who has a Spitz and had a worrying time recently when the in-house results had shown a drop, wereas, when sent off to the Lab it turned out that things were the same as they had been two weeks before.  relief indeed.

Having had spurious results from in-house blood tests being done, I wonder why this is.    It has happened quite a bit with us - at the start we were getting really high counts (some in the 500-600 range at one point) but the Lab was returning mid-200's !!
I can appreciate that Vet's use a different scale but it got me thinking that when dogs are first diagnosed, they are so by the initial in-house results and I wonder how we can rely on correct diagnosis.   What about all the hundreds of dogs that undergo in-house tests for loads of other reasons......how can they be correctly diagnosed when the results can be so ambiguous.

It would be so useful if we could rely on in-house results...to say nothing about the fact that it costs such a lot to send off these samples to the Labs !!!

Just wondered what others thought.    I'm assuming that most in-house results are accurateand wonder if it might be down to specific equipment?

Gwyneth

Catherine

I would have thought most blood testing equipment would have to be calibrated regularly although not sure how often.

There could be a slight difference between in-house and laboratories but if it is occurring on a regular basis and/or is a big difference I would question your vet about it! You should not need to have to send blood off every time, just occasionally to check something specifically.

Penel CIMDA moderator

I'd ask how often their machines are calibrated.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA