Hi

Started by Hels, May 20, 2013, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hels

Just found this forum today whilst searching for information about IBD.
My Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever was diagnosed on Friday after years of intermittent sickness and 6-8 weeks of chronic sickness....but never loose tummies!

His path report diagnosis was 'Severe chronic mixed cell gastritis' he also has an ulcer and is being treated with Zantac for a month to heal it.
They said it was Idiopathic and therefore likely to be immune mediated.

He has been fed on JWB since puppyhood (he is nearly 9 now) and more recently is having their Fish and veg variety which is basically fish and potato.

My vet has said to change his food to a new source of protein and carb but gave no real clue as to which to try? I understand this is a difficult disease to control but as he feels we can manage it through food rather than steroids etc..I'm keen to find the right one ASAP!

Is there anyone out there who has any advice for me?

I've managed a boarding kennels for 18 years so have a good knowledge of dogs but despite seeing dogs who are fed on some of the prescription diets coming in to work, I have no knowledge of IBD at all :(

Jo CIMDA

Hi

I'm sorry your dog has gastritis.  There is a thread on Canine Inflammatory Bowel Disease - lymphoplasmacytic gastritis and lymphoplasmacytic enteritis.  Try this link:    http://cimda.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,226.0.html

If the vet lab has diagnosed gastritis that's positive and something to work on, but if the symptoms don't settle down then perhaps your vet can check for, and currently rule out, Addison's disease as I know NSDTR's are genetically predisposed and it can be missed if the vet is not looking for it and chronic vomiting is one of the symptoms of Addison's.

I hope you find the thread useful.  It would be great if you can manage this without medication.

Jo