query re thyroid test results

Started by denchurch, February 23, 2013, 05:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denchurch

Hi all, I could do with a bit of help. I haven't posted for ages as Dylan, Bearded Collie, now 11 & a bit has been doing ok. He was diagnosed hypoT Dec 2010 & has been on Soloxine since then. His current doseage is  0.81/2mg which he takes am. He's had regular blood tests & the doseage over the 3years has more or less stayed the same. Several months ago he started loosing his undercoat (tail looks just like a rats!) & grooming is no longer a pleasure. The coat matts dreadfully as it comes out. He was re-tested Jan 12 & the readings came back TSH less than 0.03ng/ml & TT4 as a high reading of 68.1. My vet advised re-testing Feb 14 doing two readings Trough & Peak. The results are TSH Trough & Peak 0.03 ng/nl, TT4 Trough 39.5 nmol1/1 & Peak 51.0 nmol1/1. A further test FT4d results were Trough 18.9 pmol1/1 Peak 29.1 pmo1/1. I understand that these results are all within an acceptable range for the current Soloxine medication. My query is, should I just accept that his undercoat is lacking or  should I request further tests. I should also mention that he takes Previcox 227mg daily for arthritis along with 1 Cosequin DS. He has been on Previcox since May 2011. He has also had to have a section of his lower jaw removed (March 2012) due to a maligant growth. This might sound dreafull, but I have a lively beardie who eats normally & enjoys long walks & is certainly not ill! Sorry this is so long winded; any advice would be welcome. Denise

Jo CIMDA

Hi

The results all seem pretty normal, can you please clarify the dose of Soloxine he is on?

Jo

denchurch

Hi Jo,
Thanks for replying. Dylan is currently taking 0.85 mg Soloxin once daily.

Denise

Jo CIMDA

Hi Denise

The dose Dylan is on is about average for a beardie.  It is not unusual for the dose to be increased a bit as they get older.  Any hormone replacement therapy should be evaluated based on the blood results and clinical signs.   His blood results look ok but clearly he does have hair loss which may be attributed to hypothyroidism so you could trial an increase of soloxine to see if it makes any difference, perhaps 0.1mg.  Hair loss is commonly due to a  hormone imbalance. I would ask the vet to check his heart rate and if it is a bit on the slow side this may indicate that he is not on enough Soloxine.

It may take some months before new hair growth is seen, as the hair will not grow until it is in a 'growth cycle'. 

I presume Dylan isn't drinking too much and you say he is very well in himself so it might be that you ultimately have to accept his hair loss, although he shouldn't really have a 'rat tail' if he is on the correct medication.

Jo

denchurch

Thanks Jo. Your reply is very reassuring. He's certainly not drinking too much & is otherwise a well dog. I've a very good relationsship with our vet so will pass your comments on to her. I didn't know about a "growth cycle" but I'm happy to accept the coat loss knowing that there's nothing else I should be concerned about. Thanks again. Denise

Penel CIMDA moderator

Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA