Auto-immune meningitis of borzoi

Started by maxvv, December 09, 2012, 06:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo CIMDA

Fingers crossed Maxim.  I hope Luch's leg improves very soon.  It is just one of those things and another hurdle to cross.

Jo

maxvv

Hi all,

Unfortunately it looks like we got relapse. Luch start crying periodically at night and continue crying in the morning. We increased dose of metipred to 8 tabletts (when we was in vet clinic, we weight him and he is 38 kg now).
As I understand we should return to 8 tabletts dose and stay on it at least 10 days. Am I right?
I think that we have done 2 mistakes: low initial dose, as he is 38 kg he should have 8 tabletts, and too quick dose reduce. We could have him on highest couple of days longer.
So now we have 32 mg of metylprednisolone (2 times a day), ranitidine 75 mg 2 times a day, azatioprine 50 mg once a day.

It is fearfully that every new time relapse happens on more high dose of steroid  :( . Anyway it looks like we do not have other choice, so just continue...

Maxim

Penel CIMDA moderator

Yes I think you have made the right decision.  I'm really sorry that he has relapsed though  :'( not a good Christmas for you I'm sorry.  My fingers are crossed that it works this time.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

goldiepower

All paws crossed for Luch, Maxim. At his age he should respond now he's on the right treatment, hang in there, we are thinking of you all.

Chris & the Golden Boys xx
Qui me amat, amat canem meum

maxvv

Hi Penel and Chris,

Thank you for your support! Really he responds on increasing dose very quickly.
He stopped crying very soon after increased dose (not long than in 3 hours).

Maxim

Penel CIMDA moderator

Oh that is very good to hear.  It was the right decision then.  I hope you have a more relaxing day today.
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Jo CIMDA

Quote from: maxvv on December 27, 2012, 11:17:04 AM
Hi Penel and Chris,

Thank you for your support! Really he responds on increasing dose very quickly.
He stopped crying very soon after increased dose (not long than in 3 hours).

Maxim

Hi Maxim

At least the rapid response to the steroids indicates what you are doing is correct and Luch does need to be on them for longer.   This is a steep learning curve for you but you learn as you go along.  I always think you should be able to see a marked improvement in 4-6 hours in a dog with Luch's sort of AI disease  - and you did, so that is good news.  I am so pleased he responds well to the steroids.

Jo

maxvv

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your answers!
We are still on high dose of steroids. It looks like Luch has some problem with muscles in the back right leg. When he lays on the floor and tries to stand up, it is very difficult for him. Looks like he bases on three legs only. We thought that this is because of the injury that he had on this leg. But it looks like the injury has healed but he still raises with very big difficulties. It lasts around 5 days. Do you know what it can be? Can it be because of steroids side effects or may be some sign of SRMA?

Maxim

Jo CIMDA

Hi Maxim

It is very likely to be muscle weakness  as a result of high doses of steroids.  It is hoped that before it becomes a big problem you will be able to lower the dose.  Unfortunately it is something most dogs go through, especially the larger ones.  It does get better as the dose is lowered, but it is not until the dose gets to every other day before you see a remarkable difference in their strength and yo then realise just how much muscle weakness the steroids produce.  It will come though.  It is a long hard slog but it is worth it.

As long as Luch is eating well and he isn't depressed then he can probably cope.
Jo

maxvv

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your answer. I am sorry, did I understand you right, that muscles will not be better until the dose will be lowered to EOD?
We got a new problem  :(. He begins to urinate very little and often. At home when he stands up he urinates every 3-5 minutes. Do you kow what can help?

Maxim

goldiepower

Hi Maxim

Yes, the muscles should get stronger when he is on a lower dose of pred.

It would be worth getting a urine sample checked, with such frequency it is likely he has a urine infection, which is not uncommon in dogs on high doses of pred. The vet will be able to give him antibiotics to sort that out.

Hugs to the big lad!
Chris & the Golden Boys
^Chad^ (SRMA, Hypo-T), ^Thomas^ (Hypo-T, CHF), ^Sweet Baby James^,
Sydney, Edward and little William
Qui me amat, amat canem meum

maxvv

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answer!
Strange thing. Today he urinates as usual.

Maxim

Jo CIMDA

If it returns Maxim, get it checked.  Urine infection is common in dogs on immunosuppressive therapy and because his immune system is not working properly it is likely he will need antibiotics.
Jo

shawkyelisabeth

hi maxim.i havent been around  because of problems acessing the cimda site.but now i have made up with reading  your posts.how is lurch doing.i hope he responds well and can overcome his problems with side effects.take it very skowly and dont worry too much about side effects.it is somethong you have to face and they will disappear with reduction of preds.be positive .hopefully the next blood test will show improvement..best wishes elisabeth with cecil and her late soul mate  stella

maxvv

Hi Elisabeth, Jo

I'm sorry I was not on forum for several days.
We reduced Luch's dose from 8 to 6 after 13 days and now are preparing to reduce from 6 to 4 tablets after 15 days more.
His state is stable. He stands up with big difficulties (looks like he cannot control back right leg well) and sometimes he whines, but he eats well and does not look depressed.

Maxim