Newly diagnosed Bearded Collie

Started by Vanessa Ilott4, October 16, 2021, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanessa Ilott4

Hi
I have a 4 year old Bearded Collie, Odin, who was diagnosed with Addison's disease on Tuesday of this week. He had what I now know to be an Addison crisis last Friday and I am still coming to terms with how very poorly he was. Thankfully we have found a good vet who understands this disease and Odin is gaining strength and improving daily. I am now on a huge learning curve to understand this disease and do my best for Odin.

Catherine

Hopefully Jo will be along soon to help. Meanwhile there are plenty of posts about Addison's that may be helpful. Just use the search facility on the main page. Here is one such thread : http://cimda.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=909.0

Jo CIMDA

Hi Vanessa

I do hope Odin is getting on and improving now that the Addison's treatment has started.

It is a steep learning curve for sure - for you and your vet!  Always keep a couple of 5mg prednsiolone in your pocket when you are out for a walk, just in case he needs that boost.

Jo

Vanessa Ilott4

Hi Jo

Thank you for all your advice. It helped me get through those initial few days. I was recommended a vet who knows about Addison's. He is wanting to add to his knowledge, and was particularly keen to read your notes.

We're in a much better situation than we were last weekend! And thanks for the tip.

Vanessa