Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: SLO  (Read 270 times)

GillK

• View Profile
SLO
« on: July 14, 2021, 07:20:52 PM »

Dear Jo
I last spoke to you 18 months ago about Tom my Beardie who had kidney problems. You had a broken leg. I hope it's now ok He still has but as long as he has a wee before I go to bed he's fine. Well he was until last week when he had infected nail on one paw !!! Alarm bells rang slightly. Today after more infected toes my vet who I have known for years agreed it's SLO She bowed to my superior knowledge which I applaud her for . She is going to research it further but as they are so busy she asked for my own research and I'll send her what I know and with her  research we'll agree on treatment.
 Tom's on half a Paracetamol twice a day for the pain as most painkillers will compromise his kidneys while we sort out treatment. I know oil and no tetracycline but will look through the website. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated
Thank you Gill

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SLO
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »

Hi Gill

Thank you.  My broken leg has mended well  -  and I am so pleased that Tom's kidney problems are under control.  It is so unfortunate that he now has SLO.  The best news is that your vet is willing to work with you - she is worth hanging on to as vets like that are rare.

SLO is a miserable and painful AI disease but it isn't life threatening and therefore treatment with high doses of steroids are unnecessary, and other treatment regimes should be considered, in particular Doxycycline and niacinamide, with the addition of Biotin, essential fatty acids and Natural Vit E. It is not a quick fix but neither is steroids because any damage that has already been done in the nail bed has to grow through and this takes several weeks. I have known so many dogs to be treated like this with excellent results.  It is hoped that long term remission can be reached and even if the nails are misshaped they will not be painful or bleed and the dog can lead a normal active life.

If you email me at     cimda@aslog.co.uk     I can attach my SLO seminar notes.  Unfortunately, the file is too big to post here.

Jo