Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: IMPA - Anything new that could help wean off prednisolone completely?  (Read 44 times)

JenNara

• View Profile

My 2 year old Mini Aussie was diagnosed with IMPA just when she turned 1. Her weight is around 12.5 - 13.5 lbs and we started prednisone from 10mg. After staying on it for 4 weeks, we started reducing 25% every 2 weeks as per vet's recommendations.

She relapsed when we went from 2.5mg every other day to twice weekly. We restarted at 5mg and reduced 20% every 4 weeks after I asked if we could go slower. We also switched to prednisolone/liquid form so we could be more accurate.

Fast forward 8 months since the first relapse, she recently relapsed again when we went from 0.6ml daily to every other day, after a week. This was supposed to be one of the last doses as the vet thought we could go off completely from pred, but based on how her body reacted just from going every other day, I guess not. The vet thinks she may just need pred for long term management.

So we're back at 0.6ml daily while we try to improve her gut health. I'm wondering if there's anything else we can try that may help us reduce pred even more. I'm wondering if the drop was just too much, and maybe we should even reduce in smaller increments, like going down to 0.5 everyday next time, and staying on one dose longer than 4 weeks.

Any thoughts? Would increasing the duration like 6 - 8 weeks on one dose be helpful? Or would improving her gut health (currently just started on Animal Biome) be something that could help her from relapsing in the future? A holistic vet also thought maybe laser therapy could help since it's supposed to help with healing/regenerating and reduce inflammation that's being controlled by pred.
I'm really hoping we don't have to stay at this current dose forever, although my vets seem to think this is it.