IBD or Other issues.

Started by smothersjm, November 06, 2020, 10:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smothersjm

Greetings.  I am Max Smothers.  I have a Bearded Collie named Clara Jean.  We have been devastated by a mystery illness since Labor Day weekend (US). It is still ongoing.  We have had xrays, an ultrasound and numerous blood draws for bloodwork evaluation.  We originally thought, working with our vet, that the stomach lining wall was inflamed to the point that she could no longer eat.  Incessant vomiting. We were 54lbs and have lost a minimum of 14 lbs.  She is now skin over bones, with spine exposed, jaw and eye sockets exposed, and crown bump exposed. We have been to the vet nemours times, and we have been on prednisone 40mg ,and then decreasing to 20mg, then 10 mg and symptoms would return with a vengeance.  We are, for the third time, back to 40mg prednisone for the next 12 days.
Nearly 4 weeks ago, she vomited a very large hairball.  We were eating canned chicken and canned tuna with kibble to raise the protein and albumin which had bottomed out after our Labor Day weekend (US).  We thought we were improving.  It is now worse.  More weight loss, no eating, vomiting, diarrea.  We started treatment for hairballs thinking that there could be another, or more with Rx Lactalos.  Today is the second day of treatment, and we have anally discharged a glob that has hair in it, but is chunky...along with massive diarrhea. This has gone on too long.  We do not have a diagnosis for anything.  We started a GoFundMe page to help with costs that have exceeded 2K usd.  She is normally a fully healthy dog.  We have never had health issues, and her heart, liver, kidney function has been 100% up until this incident.  She now has mild liver enzymes elevated and she is taking Ursodil and a liver vitamin for that, and it has been stable.  Her white blood count is through the roof.  Our ultrasound indicated mild inflammation in stomach and intestines, and overactive lymph nodes.
We have been recommended to Jo Tucker, who I'm told has lots of positive information to share. 
I have copies of her labs, bloodwork, exams, and ultrasound report to share if someone could help.
Thank you so much.  This canine has been my number one companion for nearly 15 years.  There is no reason to loose her now, over something that can be treated to extend her life.  She is alert, and mobile, emotional, and responsive.  I can be reached through my email as well.  maxsmothers@gmail.com  We are seeking as much support as possible. 

Catherine

I need for you to clarify a few things please. So six months ago Clara Jean was fine? What were her symptoms then?
Was that 40mg daily? Did she have a gastroprotectant with it? When did she start having the preds.?
So, were her original blood tests back in May okay? Has she ever had her thyroid tested? I am assuming that she was tested for parasites, Lymes and the ultrasound showed nothing.
My first thought is that some of the symptoms have been a result of maybe some of the medication. The Preds, especially without a gastroprotectant can cause stomach problems and hair loss which in turn can cause the fur balls. Also if you changed her diet that could have caused more problems.

Jo CIMDA

Hi Max and Clara Jean

My apologies for the delay in replying.

I am so sorry that Clara Jean is having these problems.  Do you know if your vet has considered exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI)?  I have known a number of older dogs especially, to develop EPI and the symptoms are very similar to what you are describing.  At this time, that seems the most likely place to start.  Check her vitamin B12 levels too.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency-in-dogs

I do hope she starts to improve very soon.

Jo