News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Diarrhoea on steroids

Started by Karen Churchill, July 17, 2020, 07:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen Churchill

Hi
Is diarrhoea a side affect of steroid use? Our cocker is tapering (currently on 15mg x2 a day) and is suffering from this. It was happening about once every 5 days but has been constant the last 3 days.
We have tried fish and rice. No vomiting and she is ok on herself and wanting food.

Catherine

I have not heard of diarrhoea as a side effect but I suppose it is possible. Is your dog on a gastroprotectant because if not then the steroids can affect the stomach?

Have you tried Canikur Pro Paste? I have given this to my dogs on a few occasions and found it very effective.

I have you seen this?: http://cimda.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16.0

Karen Churchill

Thanks for your reply Catherine. We have been given Royal Canin Gastro food (tins) plus some paste to give her in order to try and settle her stomach. We also had blood tests done today and after 2 weeks on reduced steroids her platelets have dropped from 338 to 228, so not good news but she is still in the 'normal' range. We have to repeat bloods in 2 weeks and if there is no improvement (or further reduction) then they said they will give an additional drug. Can't remember which one the vet said though.

BrookeR

Sorry I have not heard of this as a side effect. My girl hasn't had any problems with that and she is 13 and has been on steroids permanently with impa since she was was 7 and between the age of 2 & 7 she was on and off them for allergies. But that being said she has had many other strange side effects/reactions to different things that haven't been the normal so I guess you couldn't rule it out?
Are you giving probiotics?
Brooke with
Pepper, the English Staffy (IMPA since Dec 2014)
NSW Australia

Jo CIMDA

Hi

Prolonged, high doses of steroids can cause gastrointestinal changes and diarrhoea.  However, As Pippa's immune system is significantly suppressed and therefore she is very vulnerable to infections,  she may have a bacteria such as salmonella or campylobacter etc., that is causing the diarrhoea.  It might be prudent to get some antibiotics, such as metronidazole, from your vet.

It depends on the reference range that your vet uses to measure platelets as these vary from one machine analyser to another,  but personally, I wouldn't worry about a drop in platelets to 228  because it is still within reference range and  Pippa has been on very high doses of pred for a long time.  Pippa is still on over the usual starting dose of 1mg/kg/12hours of prednisolone.  I hope your vet is wanting to reduce the dose soon.  Too high a dose for too long doesn't mean it is better, in fact it is detrimental.

'The goal of therapy is to use as much as is required &  as little as possible for as short an amount of time as possible (Prednisolone, prescribing highlights.' (Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 8th Edition)

I would certainly ask for some metronidazole because not only is it a good antibiotic for gut problems, it also slows down he motility of the gut and therefore more water is taken out thereby reducing the watery diarrhoea.

Jo

Koda bear

Hi Karen, I am writing to you to see if you ever figured out what was happening with your dog? Did you ever solve her problem with diarrhea? I am having the same troubles with my dog, who has been on pred on and off for 3 years now. Hope things turned out well!
Missy

Karen Churchill

Pippa only had one episode of diarrhoea and it was soon after she started steroids. It was successfully treated with gastrointestinal food for a few days.