Addison’s in Bearded Collie

Started by Violetta1, April 12, 2020, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violetta1

Message for Jo Tucker please.
Molly my nearly ten year old Beardie has been possibly diagnosed with Addison's.
She has been very off colour for a while and was showing a lot of symptoms of ? Hypothyroidism but apart from a slightly raised TSH , T4 and free T4 were unremarkable.
She was very slow and lethargic, with inappetance, and looked rather depressed. She had an episode of vomiting, but was on Onsior 40mg for an ongoing cruciate osteoarthritis. Her coat is dry and she has flaky skin, and has developed some swallowing problems. I have bought her an ergonomic feeder which seems to have helped.
She recently had stem cells injected into her left stifle at Fitzpatrick's, but was not 100% before that. She was not suitable for a knee replacement having had a previous TTA.
She has been investigated two years ago in Langford, but despite multiple investigations was not found to be suffering from any major illness. Ie: cancer, which would have stopped stem cell treatment as it is contraindicated.
Having had a beardie before with hypothyroidism, I have been on red alert with Molly.
Bloods yesterday indicated a high K+ of 6.9 , and a
Low sodium. Protein raised. Sorry can't remember exact levels but ratio was around 21.
My vet is going to carry out a Sinacthin test on Tuesday morning.
She is on the end of her mobile this weekend in case of deterioration.
Naturally I am concerned and any advice that you could give me would be much appreciated.

Jo CIMDA

Hi and welcome

A bearded collie with high K and low sodium and a ratio of 21, certainly could have Addison's disease.  Personally, I think a shot of dexamethasone at this stage would support her adrenal glands and it will not interfere with an ACTH test.  This would be like an insurance until the ACTH test is performed.  I would ask your vet about this as soon as you can.

Even when the ACTH test is done you will have to wait until the next day before the results come in, so I would suggest either another shot of Dex or start her on a replacement dose of prednisolone, again to support her until a diagnosis is achieved.

Another thing you may be able to do, if she is eating is sprinkle a little salt on her food.  This should raise the sodium levels a little and lower the potassium.  Perhaps a digestive biscuit too.

Ultimately if a diagnosis is positive she will be on an injectable hormone called Zycortal.  This is given every month or so with a daily replacement dose of prednsiolone.

If you email me on cimda@aslog.co.uk  I can attach my Addison's seminar notes.  Unfortunately I can't do it here because the file is too big.  The notes should give you all the information you need and explain about what it means to have a dog with Addison's disease.  I have known Addisonian dogs to live until they are almost 17 years old, but the crucial thing is getting that diagnosis and supporting the dog until that time.

If the ACTH test is positive, perhaps your vet will send a blood sample off to the Royal Vet College, North Mimms, to Prof Brian Catchpole, who is doing research into Addison's in bearded collies.

Jo

Violetta1

Hi Jo,
Thank you so much for your invaluable input!
Pat Wincott and Shirley Hinchliffe recommended you to me, and with good reason. I do Beardie rescue for South Wales and Various other areas, so advice from friends was very quick.
I will phone my vet re: the dexamethasone tomorrow, as I do not want Molly to relapse before her ACTH test on Tuesday..
Anything that will support her will help her and me! Being an ex cardiac nurse, I am aware of high K+ levels and arrhythmias. Think that makes me even more twitchy!
I will e-mail you to obtain your notes as advised. What a great service you provide; very supportive.
I will keep you in the loop , and note the need for a blood sample for Prof Catchpole if test is positive.
Kind regards
Violetta1