Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Immune mediated polyneuropathy  (Read 216 times)

KassieandArchie

• View Profile
Immune mediated polyneuropathy
« on: February 20, 2020, 04:06:24 PM »

Hello, newbie here.

I have had a little look through the current chats and havenít spotted anything about immune mediated polyneuropathy. I understand itís quite unusual and each case varies significantly.

It would be great to hear anyone elseís stories if you have a dog with this condition, my boy has just been diagnosed and we will be commencing with treatment next week.

The neurologist has recommended a course of steroids followed by an immunosuppressant. Is anyone elseís dogs on similar treatment? Or seen results with an alternative treatment? The nerves affected with Archie are his cranial nerves which I believe is even more unusual.

I look forward to chatting with you!

Thanks, Kassie

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Immune mediated polyneuropathy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »

Hi Kassie and welcome

I am sorry Archie is unwell.  Polyneuropathy is such a broad  label and it can take form in many different ways. Has the vet narrowed it down to a specific diagnosis?  The most common immune mediated polyneuropathy  in dogs (and it isn't that common) is myasthenia gravis. 

What symptoms does Archie have?

Jo

KassieandArchie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your message. The diagnosis was from a neurologist after an MRI and CSF tap. He didnít say there was a specific known syndrome for the symptoms Archie has. So we just have the diagnosis of Ďimmune mediated polyneuropathy affecting the cranial nervesí

The symptoms he has are a head tilt to the left, and paralysis of the left side of his face - doesnít blink his left eye and when he pants the left side of his mouth droops. The rest of his body is unaffected and his QoL is also unaffected so far, but we have been told that this could spread to other cranial nerves which could be fatal.

His muscles were also checked for function and they are normal (although atrophied temporal muscles) so I think that rules out MG

Thanks again, Kassie
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:52:15 AM by KassieandArchie »

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »

Hi Kassie

These obscure neurological diseases can be tricky to diagnose and also, one successful treatment regimen won't necessarily be as successful in another dog.  This, unfortunately,  is the vagueness of neurological disease in dogs.

I am very interested to know how Archie is being treated - dose of steroids and duration etc.   As this is a relatively rare disease, it also may help others out there who are having similar problems with their dogs.  If Archie is on an immunosuppressive dose of prednsiolone then a  giving Archie a gastroprotectant such as omeprazole would be prudent.

I do hope Archie will improve soon. 

Jo