Loss of pigmentation on lower lip

Started by Gerryshaw, January 12, 2020, 11:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerryshaw

Hello - I have a 2.5 year old Beardie who has, over the last 6 months, lost all the dark pigment on his lower lip.  His nose and upper lip are still very black and show no change.   However, I've noticed recently there are one or two fading patches appearing on on his eyelids too.  He's fit and healthy and is fed a raw diet on an evening, combined with a good quality kibble at lunchtime.  His coat is glossy, long and there's no indication of anything amiss.  After much consideration, he had the Suprelorin implant about 6 months ago as he was showing anti social behaviour to other male intact dogs.  I don't really want to go down the surgical castration route just yet as I enjoy showing him now and again.  The implant has been successful in that he's returned to the happy, friendly dog he was when he was younger and he mixes well with other dogs.  However, I now wonder if it's triggered the pigmentation problem.  If I want to continue with the Suprelorin, I need to have another implant in a month's time but I'm now not sure as I don't want to put his health at risk.  If it has been a trigger for an auto immune condition, would having him surgically castrated have the same effect?  Any advice or comment from Jo or fellow forum members would be much appreciated.  Regards.

Catherine

http://cimda.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1017.msg9063#msg9063

Above is a link to a similar thread on this site that deals with the loss of pigment. As your Beardie seems fit and well and it seems to be happening over several months it is probably not anything to be too concerned about. It does sound a bit of a co-incidence with the implant but I do not have any experience of that. Auto-immune diseases can be triggered by a variety of things and hormones could be one.

It could also be due to the weather! I expect you keep a careful eye on him but I would suggest (if you have not already) reading up, on this site,about the various auto-immune diseases and symptoms . There are skin ones that tend to have loss of pigment and crusty noses. It is best to be prepared and know what to look out for.

Jo is still unable to use her computer, but if anyone needs an urgent reply then please post on here and I will contact her.

Gerryshaw

Thank you for your reply - I'd found the post you referred to and wondered if it would be possible to contact the owner to see how things progressed with her Beardie?  The site is so full of info I'll definitely try and read up on some of the conditions, although it makes depressing reading too :(. Thanks again.

Catherine

I am not sure it is a good idea to contact her now, she has not been on the site since 2017. She may no longer be a member or no longer have her dog.

The loss of pigment can come back, stay the same or get worse. It could be genetic.The dog could remain healthy all its life, as some do with missing pigment. Do you know if his parents, siblings etc. have the problem?

I know how worrying it can be but the longer you see that he remains healthy despite the lack of pigment or the pigment indeed comes back (and may go again) the more you will be able to relax. Yes, it can be quite worrying reading about all the dreadful diseases but I happen to think it helps to know some of the symptoms. But you have to then stop worrying and basically just keep an eye on your dog, which it sounds as though you are already doing.

Gerryshaw

Thanks Catherine - I've checked with the breeder of my Beardie boy (who own both his Mum and Dad) and neither have had any pigmentation issues.  I'm probably worrying unnecessarily, and all I can do is keep a close eye on him, as you suggest. Thanks for your words of comfort.

Jo CIMDA

Hi and Welcome

I have recently had a similar enquiry and below was my reply. Apologies for copying a reply.

The good news is, what you describe (being active and otherwise very healthy) and what photo suggests is something called vitiligo. Vitiligo is an autoimmune destruction of the melanocytes, however, the excellent news is vitiligo only affects the pigment and there are no other, more serious health implications and because of this there is no particular treatment for Vitiligo but you may try things such as   Dorwest elderberry and nettle extract.   I gave this to one of my beardies many years ago to help with her pigment loss. Sometimes the pigment loss will wax and wane, so there may be some seasonal influence.   

If the pigment loss is extreme then you may want him to wear a little cap in the summer to avoid sunburn.   Some people will put canine sun block on the pink patches.   Take a look at these websites.

https://www.dorwest.com/product/elderberry-nettle-extract-for-dogs-and-cats/

https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/vitiligo-dogs-and-cats-everything-you-need-know

There are other immune mediated conditions that affect pigment but these usually carry other clinical signs such as skin sores and a runny nose etc. Personally, as long as you don't see any other symptoms I would just give the supplements, if you think they might be helping, and not have any invasive work done such as biopsies etc. or even blood tests for thyroid. There is no point in testing for other things when the diagnosis is pretty much clear.   Loss of pigment in beardies is not uncommon and vitiligo alone is nothing to worry about.

In addition to the above yes, Vitiligo, as with any other autoimmune disease, is has to be triggered by something - and the triggers are numerous.  The bottom line though is, he has a genetic predisposition.  So yes the Suprelorin could have been the trigger but also hormones are a huge trigger factor, as is stress, drugs, vaccines etc.  Male castration is a simple operation and is relatively non-invasive and although you have the anaesthetic /stress of having an operation to consider it could be  a better solution long term because his hormones will be in check, and hopefully his stress levels, and also he won't have to have Suprelorin again.

If it is just the pigment that is affected, with no other clinical signs, then it is good news.

Jo

Gerryshaw

Thanks for your reply Jo - much appreciated.  I'll update if there is anything significant to report.  Best regards and keep up the great work you do.