Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: IMPA Well into treatment  (Read 113 times)

Mouse

• View Profile
IMPA Well into treatment
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:44:21 PM »

Hello. I thought I should share my experience so far. Mouse was diagnosed with IMPA at the end of February, she has followed the recommended drug protocol on this site as prescribed by out referral vet. Her recovery has been text book to the point of reducing her pred to every other day. We noticed she was getting periods of stiffness and some pain in her joints again. This would happen every few days and last for about 2 days. Our vet recommended we step back to the daily dose of 7.5mg once a day for another 4 weeks. This seems to suit her and she was fine for more than two weeks then had another couple of days stiffness. She is eating and drinking normally, regaining some of her cheeky personality but still a bit slow on walks and hasnt had a proper run since January. We are expecting to try the drop to every other day again next week. Im really hoping we are not seeing relapse. Could the stiffness and slight lethargy be symptoms of steroid use rather than return of the IMPA? Im really hoping so as shes doing so well, from a very poorly indeed little lurcher in February to about 90% her old self now in July. Before becoming ill she was 17kg, she dropped as low as 12kg prediagnosis and is now 18.5kg. Id like to get her back to full fitness, shes just 5 years old and was a very fast girl who lived to run.

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: IMPA Well into treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »

Hello.  Thank you for the update on Mouse. 

It is difficult to know if the limping and stiffness is due to a relapse of the disease or due to the long term use of preds.   If a dog relapses then it is very likely they will have swelling around the joints and a high temperature.

Long term use of preds, especially in a lurcher dog, will take its toll and weight loss can be expected.  Other breeds are more inclined to put on weight but sighthounds are different because they have a faster metabolism. Also, muscle loss is inevitable and this will result in a stilted gait and tiring easily with fatigue.  These symptoms can be confused with a relapse of the disease.

This time around, as long as the adverse effects of the preds allow, try to take the reduction slower and nip down each reduction eg., 1mg at a time,  as opposed to reducing the dose by 25%, and get the dose as low as you can before going to every other day dosing.   You can take it as slow as you like as long as the Cushing's symptoms are not a serious problem.

I do hope the reduction works this time around, and Mouse is tearing about as she should be very soon.

Jo

Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply Jo,
We reduced Mouses Preds to just 1 (5mg) tablet a day around a week ago. All signs are good, shes had some good, longish walks since and is enjoying herself in the garden. She had a little run a couple of days ago. Shes interacting with us more and spending less time just laying around. Remembering that as a lurcher her normal state is upside down on the sofa! I think that after nearly six months of struggling with this horrible disease we are finally getting somewhere. Fingers crossed.

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »

Brilliant news.  I am so pleased, and I can feel your relief!
Jo