New to site and the vets don’t know what’s wrong

Started by Scattysue, October 06, 2018, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattysue

Hi everyone I'm just asking if anyone's else's dog has had similar symptoms and did thier baby survive? Sonella was
Done oninwrw and then went down hill wobbling, tired and was being sick by wed
She was sent to a neurologist  who did spinal tap and MRI as suspected meningitis... her brain is inflamed and she is still being sick
And
Not eating and is still waiting for more results. She is on steroids
And
They are starting  a course of injections to block and
Shut down her immune system
next
Week
To

Catherine

I am afraid some of your message has come through muddled. Have you seen this: http://cimda.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,25.0.html

How much does Sonella weigh? She needs to be on the correct dose of steroids. Here is the recommended protocol:

Immunosuppressive Protocols for Oral Prednisolone in the Dog.
Ref: Clinical Immunology of the Dog & Cat by Michael J Day  – Professor of Veterinary Pathology, University of Bristol, UK and WSAVA - Chairman of Scientific Advisory Committee.

This example is based on a dog receiving an induction dose of 1.0mg/kg/q12hrs (every 12 hours)

Dose                Duration (based on clinical effect)

1.0mg/kg/q12h             10-28 days
0.75mg/kg/q12h            10-28 days
0.5mg/kg/q12h             10-28 days
0.25mg/kg/q12h                         10-28 days
0.25mg/kg/q24h                         10-28 days
0.25-0.5mg/kg/ Every other day      at least 21 days
0.25-0.5 mg/kg/ Every third day       at least 21 days

Azathioprine (a cytotoxic drug) can be used in combination with prednisolone at 2mg/kg/24 or 48 hrs and dose gradually reduced, when remission is achieved, over a period of months.
Clinical response to Azathioprine may take up to 6 weeks. (Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook)

Don't forget the gastroprotectant!

Jo CIMDA

Hi

Steroid responsive meningitis arteritis (SRMA) has a good prognosis as long as the treatment protocol is correct.  1 mg/kg/prednisolone twice a day is the correct immunosuppressive dose.  If the dose is too low then it will not be sufficient to suppress the immune system.  If it is higher than this it is likely to cause unacceptable side effects.   The protocol by Michael J Day is the best I have come across and it can confidently be used as a guide.

In addition to prednisolone, a gastroprotectant, such as omeprazole or ranitidine,  should also be given to guard against the excess acid produced by the steroids.

Within a day of two of  Sonella starting treatment with an immunosuppressive dose of preds she should feel so much better.

See this link.

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/meningitis-and-encephalitis-dogs-treat-treatable-proceedings

I hope you see some improvement very soon.
Jo