News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Need help with Epileptic Dog

Started by jancobley, June 09, 2012, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jancobley

Hello All

I have a question for anyone with an epiletic dog. Is there a specific group—if so could I have an addy. I have a distraught client I will add what she sent to me and if anyone can throw any light we would be grateful. A specific group would prob be the answer for her.

She is not completely happy with Vet asistance at mo and could do with input from anyone who has similar experience.

Email to me, it was in answer to what meds she had her dog on;-

""Luminaletas (15mg) 3 a day ....one and half morning and evening
Valdispert (45mg) 1 in the morning

Over the last two weeks she has also had 1 Epilease at night ( with a liquid for her stomach 15 mins prior)   but she has not been very good, having 4 fits in two weeks!!!! So I have not stopped them again ... we did try them around a year ago and the same thing happened but the vet thought that perhaps we should try again.

She is a small Podengo weighing around 6kg and normally has so much energy ... running and playing with all our other dogs and any visitors!!!!!""

Thankyou to all.

Jan and Merlin in The Algarve

Janspack

Hi Jan,

Please tell your client that stopping anti-epileptic drugs suddenly can actually precipitate seizures.  They should be tailed off gradually under the vets supervision if the owner doesn't want to carry on giving them. They can make the dog a bit depressed and sedated  at first but once they have been on them for a while, that should improve. Every time they have a seizure, they could be doing damage to the brain so if they are frequent, some sort of treatment is really the best way to go.  I'm sure there will be something out there that will suit this little dog. 

I would suggest that if she is insured or money isn't an issue,  that she asks her vet for a referral to a neurologist.  The Animal Health Trust at Newmarket have an excellent neurology department where  I took my epileptic dog some years ago.  Otherwise, there are private referral clinics in most parts of the country. (they can be more expensive than the vet colleges or AHT though).

I did a quick search on Yahoo Groups and came up with http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/k9epileptics/. I'm sure if she googles canine epilepsy forum/support groups something will show up.  Jean Dodds has also written a lot about epilepsy so might be worth going to her web site. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Hope that will be of some help.
Jan & the Pack

YoYo Standard Poodle (12 yrs) Addison's Disease, Hypothyroid & GOLPP

sneax

Hi, I heard of en epilepsy theories than imply that some behavioristic techniques might help an animal to get by seizure episodes, can I get a confirmation of this theoriry debunked here by anyone feeling competent in the subject matter?
nike, adidas, other kinds of sneakers - finest for great prices - available online, SneakerStudio

Jo CIMDA

Hi

I have no knowledge of this subject.  Sorry. 

Maybe someone else will post.

Jo