News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Turmeric

Started by Joanne Denton, August 15, 2018, 09:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanne Denton

Someone has told me that Turmeric may help a dog with IMPA ,   as my dog is on steroids and other drugs would this be a good idea or not.   has anyone had any success or anything to say if Turmeric will help.   i have been told that the Turmeric if given may help get our dog off steroids.  As every time we try and get him off the steroids he has a relapse.

Thanks

Jo CIMDA

Hi

Turmeric can interact with some drugs, in particular gastroprotectants, and as your dog is on steroids I assume he or she is taking something like ranitidine or omeprazole.   https://familylifegoals.com/who-should-not-consume-turmeric/   

Although turmeric can be used as an anti-inflammatory because your dog is on a specific drug regimen for IMPA I feel you should take advice from your vet or an holistic vet.

IMPA carries a good prognosis, and you should be able to get your dog off steroids, but much depends on the immunosuppressive drug regime and if this is not correct then remission will not be achieved.  See this extract and excellent immunosuppressive drug protocol.

Reducing the Tablets
When significant improvement in the dog's condition is seen, usually between 10-28 days, the initial steroid dose is usually reduced by 25%. The dose is generally given for another 10 - 28 days and depending on the dog's progress and clinical signs the dose is significantly reduced once more for a further 10-28 days; and again in another 10-28 days. Anecdotal evidence has shown that if at this stage the dose is lowered more slowly, or reduced to an every other day dose over a period of months rather than weeks, relapse are less likely to occur.  It is always tempting to get your dog off steroids as soon as possible, but when treating autoimmune disease, as long as the dog is on a low, every other day dose then taking the last stage slowly seems to work best, depending, of course, on the severity of the disease and allowing for the difference in individual response - no two dogs reactions are exactly the same.  With some autoimmune diseases such as SLE, the dog is likely to be on steroids for the rest of his life. Usually an every other day dose can be achieved, but you risk a relapse if you take the dose too low. Below is the best example of a reducing immunosuppressive protocol I have come across. It is an excellent guide and can be adjusted to the individual.

Example: Reduction Protocol for prednisolone:
Clinical Immunology of the Dog & Cat , 2nd Edition,  by Michael J Day
Professor Michael DayBSc, BVMS(Hons), PhD, DSc, DiplECVP, FASM, FRCPath, FRCVS 

Professor of Veterinary Pathology, University of Bristol, UK and WSAVA - Chairman of Scientific Advisory Committee.
This example is based on a dog receiving an induction dose of 1.0mg/kg/q 12hrs (q = every)
Dose                           Duration (based on clinical effect)
1.0mg/kg/q 12h                          10-28 days
0.75mg/kg/q 12h                       10-28 days
0.5mg/kg/q 12h                         10-28 days
0.25mg/kg/q 12h                        10-28 days
0.25mg/kg/q 24h                        10-28 days
0.25-0.5mg/kg EOD                    at least 21 days
0.25-0.5 mg/kg every third day      at least 21 days

Every reduction is made after consideration to improvement of clinical signs, blood results and side effects of the drugs.

Prednisolone:  "Doses above 2.2mg/kg/day do not give more immunosuppression but do cause more side effects. Many internists believe that prednisolone doses should not exceed 80mg per day, regardless of the dog's weight."  Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook Eight Edition.

Personally, I don't think turmeric will prevent a relapse of IMPA but it might enhance therapy.  As far as I know turmeric doesn't interact with prednisolone but you would have to take professional advice.

https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/7-autoimmune-disorders-turmeric-helps

I know people who give Turmeric to their dogs with osteoarthritis but I haven't known anyone to use it for immune mediated polyarthritis. 

If each time you reduce the steroids your dog relapses then I would check with the drug protocol above if your dog has had the correct doses of prednisolone and for the correct duration - this is crucial to the outcome. 

Jo

Joanne Denton

Thank you Jo.

I will leave the Turmeric alone.   Glad I asked before using it.   

I think that the reason he has crashed twice is because of the last bit of the drug reduction,  I did think it odd when our vet said drop him from 1 x 5ml tablet a day down to every other day.   I wanted to say should we give half every day first but i find myself not asking as I trust the vet.  I think when it comes to it again I will mention it as it does seem that slowly and lowering dose more is the best way to go. 

Thank you
Joanne

Jo CIMDA

Hi Joanne

When you get down to a low daily dose of preds, and remission has been achieved,  subsequent reductions can take many paths and none are wrong.

Whilst the body is receiving high doses of preds (cortisol)  the adrenals shut down cortisol production and as you gradually lower the dose the adrenals will slowly kick back in again. Nice and gently is best if the situation allows.

A low dose of pred isn't having a therapeutic effect, but it isn't doing any harm either, and when a dog has been on high doses of preds for months the whole system is unbalanced.   It is less of a shock to the system if you take the final reductions slowly and allow the body to gradually return to optimal functioning and achieve homoeostasis. 

Jo