Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tucker age 6 IMPA and SRMA, severe meningitis  (Read 711 times)

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tucker age 6 IMPA and SRMA, severe meningitis
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »

You are giving him every chance Tamar, and hopefully this will pay off and you will see improvement soon.

I hope you were able to get some quality sleep. 

Jo

tamarmot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 06:50:00 PM »

Thanks so much, Jo. 
Tucker survived the chemo treatment and I picked him up this morning.  He seems more lucid and definitely more energetic.  He peed on command.  I don't know how to describe it but he is energetically wobbly.

The vet sent me home with 1 week worth of cyclosporine, which we will start tonight; his dose is 175 mg.  He has discovered that I have been hiding pills in cheese and no longer likes cheese so I plan to make some pill pockets out of peanut butter.  The worry is vomiting / diarrhea as side effects of the cyclosporine, fingers crossed that he does not have those and that it is effective.

The vet also strongly suggested melatonin for the sleep, thinking maybe his brain is not producing that right now, or not producing enough so I will try to get some today.  I am hoping that within a few days he will gain the ability to lie down on his own, so he can safely and comfortably rest in his crate.

I am also looking into scheduling a euth for later in the week if he once again starts to decline.

Tamar

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 08:39:33 PM »

Hi Tamar

Well that is a good start - you couldn't ask for more at this stage. 

Cyclosporine can make them feel sick and if this happens then lower the dose, give it with food and gradually build up to the prescribed dose.

Melatonin is definitely worth trying.  It can be useful in so many ways. 

I do hope this will work.

Good luck!

Jo

tamarmot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 08:48:02 PM »

Thanks Jo! 

He has been sleeping really well -- lots of long (2 hour) naps during the days, and only got up at 1:30 and 2:30 last night. His stool is a little bit soft on the cyclosporine so I might add something in to firm it up.  He took it in 'pill pockets' on an empty stomach and did not vomit.
We went on the longest walk so far -- about half a normal walk, or 2 miles, including a hill!  He has been able to drink out of a water bowl if I hold it up to his face (tilted, it's a good trick).

He continues to have more energy and more clarity than before. 

Tamar

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 09:29:20 PM »

Great news Tamar!!!!!!

tamarmot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »

Unfortunately after that initial day, Tucker has continued to decline.  His symptoms are getting worse.  He now once again has a very tight circle to the left, his head leans to the left.  His teeth clatter sporadically throughout the day, and his head often trembles side to side.  He can no longer go up and down stairs.  He still is not housebroken, cannot sit or lie down on his own.  He peed on his outside mat yesterday.  He can drink from a bowl but only if I press his head down.  He often arcs his head back, and is often panting.

The vet was expecting some positive progress within this week from the cytosar, but I am not seeing that.  She said it would take 2 weeks for the cyclosporine to start having effect but I feel that Tucker is one of the dogs who is just not responding to treatment in any reasonable timeframe.  His (and our) suffering is too great.

Unless we see some major turnaround in the next few days, we will put him down at the end of the week.
awful.
Tamar

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »

Hi Tamar

I am so sorry you have not see the improvement you hoped for. MUO is the most complicated of diseases.

It is so very difficult for you all to see Tucker like this and there comes a time when you have to make the hardest decision, but it is the best one for Tucker. It is the most unselfish decision you will ever make.   I hope it doesn't come to that but sometimes the suffering is too great. 

Jo

tamarmot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »

Tucker's vet came to our home yesterday.  Tucker went to sleep for the last time, on my lap on his mat, surrounded by all the people in his family, and his dog sister.  It has been a harrowing month.  It was only this last week, when he didn't respond at all to the Cytosar, that I realized that he really was not going to get better. 

Our home has turned back from a hospital into a home.  We are not leaving our spare dog unattended even for a moment, and she seems fine.  (She's a bossy, healthy chihuahua mix that we found on our street some 3 years ago).  Our friends and family have sent us many messages of condolences and support.

Coincidentally with all the raging fires in California right now, a local dog rescue is doing a drive for supplies so we are taking Tucker's things there today.

My husband who is an acupuncturist really saw Tucker's decline starting 2 years ago when he got IMPA.  He sees how hard it is to manage and treat AI diseases in humans, and when he saw Tucker with meningitis, he also did not feel that Tucker would respond to treatment, nor did Tucker's acupuncturist.  I am glad that I gave Tuck every chance that I could.  I had great support from all the vets that we worked with.

As hard as it was for me this entire month (5 weeks, really) I think it had to be so much harder and scarier for Tucker.  I hope that he was in the moment enough that he could feel how much love he was getting and I hope it was not too scary for him (being sick). 

It is a big relief, a really big relief now, to not have to care for him, worry for him, to be able to sleep.  I am starting to want to eat.

I hope this journal will be helpful to others, and I truly hope that if you are reading this your pet has an easier journey than our Tucker.
Tamar.

Tucker  4/14/12 - 8/4/18

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »

Dear Tamar

I am so sorry to read that Tucker has lost his fight. 

One thing for sure is Tucker will have loved every minute being with you, even though he was so poorly.  Dogs are stoical beings and they have the ability of accepting situations as long the ones they love are beside them, and you were there for Tucker 24/7 and gave him every chance. 

The relief of no longer seeing Tucker struggle with this alarming disease, and the end to your constant worry, and the responsibility of having to deal with the stressful, intensive caring that you gave to him is so understandable, but they leave behind a void and an immediate but thankfully, temporary feeling of abandonment because of this imposed redundancy.   Tucker couldn't have asked for more dedication from you.  You must now look after yourself.

Thank you for letting us know.

Rest in Peace Tucker. 

Jo
Pages: 1 [2]