Hemophilia type B

Started by Annie James, May 30, 2018, 10:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annie James

Hi. I am new to this site. I was advised to speak to Jo as my Bearded Collie has been diagnoses with Hemophilia type B. I decided to get my dog tested after two huge hematomas after two separate operations and on my vets advice. I just wanted general advice as how to go forward.

Jo CIMDA

Hi and welcome

I am so sorry your beardie has haemophilia B.  I do hope he or she is doing well.  I know there is no ongoing treatment for this condition but it must make you quite anxious having a dog with Haemophilia B.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about this specific, rare  blood disorder and to be honest I have never heard of it in bearded collies, so that is a concern for the breed.   I consulted the BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline haematology  and Transfusion Medicine to learn more about this condition. Haemophilia B is found in the chapter,  Disorders of Secondary Haemostasis, Inherited Coagulopathies.

I am sure you have done your research and I presume you now know a fair bit about this particular condition, so I don't suppose I can add very much but it interests me greatly because I presume you have a definitive diagnosis - confirmed by a gene test - and this could greatly impact on the usually reliable assumptive diagnosis of immune mediated thrombocytopenia (IMPT), a bleeding disorder that is well described in beardies.  I have to ask myself, could this be a reason why a dog that is treated appropriately for IMTP does not survive?  Are these cases not IMPT but Haemophilia B?   It opens up a whole new area for thought and consideration.

The inheritance pattern outlined in the above BSAVA Manual is:  'All the daughter's of an affected male will be obligate carriers of the disease, but his sons will be normal.  There is a 50% probability of the offspring of a carrier female inheriting the defective chromosome, and on average half of her sons will be affected and half of her daughters will be carriers of the disease.' 

So if you do have a positive gene test, and you didn't bred your beardie yourself, please let the breeder know.  This information is very important to the breed and to the breeder's line.  Also, If you haven't done so already, would you kindly send an email to Yvonne Fox giving details of your beardies diagnosis because this is something that the Joint Breed Liaison Committee (JBLC) should be aware of.    y.fox@bushbladesbeardies.co.uk

Personally, I am very grateful for this knowledge because from now I shall not just assume that a beardie with signs of bleeding is most likely to have IMTP.     If you haven't already looked at these links, then you might find them interesting. 

[/b][/i]https://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/lhasa-apso---haemophilia-b

http://www.thepetsite.co.uk/vetknowledge/health/diseases/xmasdisease.htm   (This website is conducting a survey into Haem B)

http://www.vetstreet.com/care/hemophilia-a-factor-viii-deficiency-and-hemophilia-b-factor-ix-deficiency-in-dogs

I am really sorry your beardie has this condition.  Having a diagnosis makes you aware and your response, if necessary,  will be that much quicker and that has to be a good thing for your beardie.

Jo

Jo CIMDA

Hi Annie

You may like to contact Liz Ayrton.  Liz is health co-ordinator for the JBLC and she is also a vet, so this contact could be very useful to you.

elizabeth.ayrton@btinternet.com

Jo