My Beautiful Rosie

Started by Rosie12, June 06, 2012, 10:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo CIMDA

Hi

I would guess it the pred dose that is causing her to be off her food or being picky.  Pancreatitis can be a problem and should be considered but when a dog has been on high doses of preds for two months and loses it's appetite and becomes lethargic then it is more likely to be the preds and they have to be lowered.  Her PCV is very good, and there is no evidence of the AI disease, so looking at the whole picture, there is no good reason why your girl is still on 25mg preds.  It should be reduced asap.  She is having Aza so this will maintain a good level of immunosuppression.

I hope the preds ar reduced soon and she starts to feel better.  Check out the Michael J Day drug protocol in the files.  This is an excellent guide.

Jo

Rosie12

I will definately speak to the vet about reducing the pred. Her gums etc are paler and obviously I am concerned as this was one of the reasons I noticed she was ill in the first place, can this also be a side effect of too much pred or is it possible that we are going to be back to square one with the AIHA. She has been to the vet twice now in the past few days and they don't seem to be panicking as much as I am but I know how fast she could deteriorate. Is there any food I could try and tempt her with that might help her to keep her strength up (if I can get her to eat it)?

Jo CIMDA

Hi

In two months the preds should have been reduced at least 2-3 times.  When preds are given for a long time the PCV  can reach a plateau and this often occurs around the late 20% to early 30%.  31% may not show as pale gums.  Sometimes the gums will look pale in a healthy dog.  Anaemia of chronic disease is also a posibility and also iron deficiency anaemia caused by stomach ulcers that can be as a result of prednisolone.  I know she is having a gastroprotectant, which is good.  Personally, I think the history of treatment and the clinical signs she is showing all point to pred saturation. If there is no evidence of AIHA then why shouldn't the preds be reduced?

If the current problem is due to pred saturation, when the dose is lowered you should see an improvement within a few of days.

Good luck
Jo

Rosie12

Ok so I spoke to the vet and thankfully got referred to the chap who dealt with Rosie initially, he has already decided to drop the pred dosage. Unfortunately they think she may have a stomach ulcer despite giving her stomach protectors. She will be staying at the pet hospital tonight as her PCV is down to 15.

Jo CIMDA

Hi

I'm sorry to read that Rosie is down to 15%.  I hope they can soon differentiate between iron deficiency anaemia and a relapse of AIHA.  I hope you get good news today.

Jo

Rosie12

Thankfully they have ruled out IAHA and are treating her an infection caused by the medication. Her temperature was up last night but she has had antibiotics and her pred has been reduced, her temperature is now normal. They want to keep her in one more night but hopefully she'll be home tomorrow. Thanks for pushing me to question the vet, which resulted in us getting referred to people who knew exactly what they were looking at and treating her accordingly. 

Penel CIMDA moderator

Fingers crossed for Rosie. x
Penel
(SLE, Surrey - UK)
Forum Owner
CIMDA

Jo CIMDA

That is good news.  I'm so please you have someone who is competent looking after Rosie now.

Good luck
jo

Rosie12

Just wanted to give some hope to those out there who are still struggling with this terrible disease. It's 14 months on and Rosie is fit as a fiddle, she came off her meds in December 2012 and is back out on our runs. Never thought she'd be here with me this summer! It's all thanks to the advice I received here, which gave me the confidence and knowledge to question. Thanks to everyone I truly believe you helped save her life 😃

Jo CIMDA

That's wonderful News.  Well done Rosie!!!

Thanks for the update.

Jo

Angela

Angela (AIHA & Addison's)
NSW Australia

christina

So sorry what poor rosie is going through!
I dearly hope she continues to improve!
Christina n holly x