ADDISON'S DISEASE - URGENT APPEAL FOR BLOOD SAMPLES

Started by Jo CIMDA, November 07, 2016, 10:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo CIMDA

IMPORTANT

APPEAL FOR BLOOD SAMPLES

New Research started September 2016

If you live in the UK and have a dog that has been diagnosed with Addison's disease, the Royal Veterinary College needs your help.

Please go to the link below, and download the submission forms, and the next time your dog has a blood test please ask your vet to take a little extra and send a sample to the RVC.

It is hoped that this research will lead to the discovery of a blood test to identify Addison's disease before the dog goes into a life threatening crisis, but they can't do this without your help and blood sample from your Addisonian dog.

The RVC is particularly interested in blood samples from Bearded Collies with Addison's Disease.

Thanking you in advance

Jo

The Owner Information sheet and the Sample Submission form can be down loaded from this link.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/about/our-people/brian-catchpole#tab-research

Jan B

Good afternoon Jo, Is this study still underway and does RVC still require samples?

Regards

Jan B

Jo CIMDA

Hi  Jan

No it's not but they are still very willing to collect blood samples, especially from very newly diagnosed dogs.  Thank you for asking.

Jo

Jan B

Thanks Jo,

Our 4 year old beardie has just been diagnosed and the vets are currently establishing levels required. His next blood test is next week so we will ask them to send a sample, using the same owner's approval doc. I assume?

Regards

Jan

Jo CIMDA

Hi

I am so sorry your beardie has been diagnosed with Addison's disease, but at least the diagnosis has been made before a crisis, and this is very good news.

It is well known now, that the initial recommended starting dose of Zycortal (2.2mg/kg) is too high and most vets are starting now at 1.5mg/kg and this seems to be working much better and stabilising the dog quicker without so many side effects.

Do you have my seminar notes on Addison's disease?  If you don't and you want a copy, please email me at cimda@aslog.co.uk.

I do hope he stabilises very soon. 

If you follow the link  it should take you to a sample submission form which can be filled in by you and your vet.

Thank you

Jo