Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Effects of SRMA - Seizures  (Read 129 times)

mmuns

• View Profile
Effects of SRMA - Seizures
« on: April 10, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »

My Bluesy is 5 years old and survived SRMA.  She lost her eyesight after a relapse almost a year ago.  Recently she has started having strange episodes where she seems disoriented, may circle and run into things and drools.  She snaps out of it and is totally fine - back to what is normal for her now.  The vet is putting her on phenobarbitol to see if that will stop it.  He suspects she has damage to an area of her brain that has brought on these seizures.  Anyone else have this experience?

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of SRMA - Seizures
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

Hi

I am sorry you are having these problems with Bluesy.  Unfortunately, as poor Bluesy has damaged optical nerves and blood vessels as a result of SRMA then there might be other brain damage, as your vet suggests, and this may result in the neurological symptoms you are seeing. It is difficult to know how much damage has been done.

It is well documented that dogs can go blind with SRMA, and my friend's 10 month old dog went blind just prior to being diagnosed with this AI disease, but I am not aware of any that have developed neurological symptoms or seizures,  but who knows? 

There are several reasons why a dog might develop neurological signs and it may or may not be related to the SRMA.   The symptoms you describe might be due to vestibular syndrome.  Vestibular syndrome is caused by an inner ear problem but many vets wrongly assume the dog has had a stroke.  This usually resolves itself in a few weeks. Take  a look at these links:

https://www.care.com/c/stories/6477/neurological-disorders-in-dogs-signs-and-car/

https://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co.uk/neurology/vestibular-disease/

I hope the phenobarbital does the trick and she can go on to lead a good life.  If this is a permanent neurological problem and if the phenobarbital doesn't resolve the problem or is doesn't agree with her, then your vet might consider using Keppra.   

https://www.thespruce.com/levetiracetam-keppra-in-dogs-and-cats-3384713

I hope she improves very soon.

Jo

mmuns

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 01:04:45 AM »

Thought I would update-Bluesy continues to have seizures even though she is on phenobarbital and we have added gabapentin.  They still do not look like traditional seizures but are focal or absence seizures just occurring in her brain.  I think the frequency has increased since we started meds.  It was explained to me that seizures either come from the body or the brain.  Bloodwork shows Bluesy's body to be healthy - all normal - so it has to be damage in her brain.  Very discouraged that we can't seem to get the seizures stopped.  They always occur during the middle of the night and she can be restless for an hour afterward.  After surviving SRMA it's hard to watch her struggle with seizures now...

Catherine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »

How often is Bluesy having seizures and is she still circling at times? Is her hearing still okay?

When you had her bloods taken did they check her thyroid?

Have you seen this site:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

If the medication is not working it may be because she needs an increase or something different. You might like to ask your vet about Keppra, as Jo suggested earlier. Also if Bluesy is only having the seizures at night another thing to ask your vet about is the possibility of giving a Diazepam tablet each night to see if that helps. I am not sure whether that is okay to use with the medications Bluesy is having at the moment so you will have to check with your vet.

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »

Hi

I am so sorry Bluesy is still having seizures, even with treatment.  Perhaps you haven't hit on the right one for Bluesy yet and the treatment needs to be changed. 

As Catherine has suggested Keppra is an alternative and also Pexion.   I do think it is worth looking into changing meds.  Another tried and tested drug is potassium bromide. Sometimes a combination of drugs is used.   

http://www.pexion.co.uk/

It is so distressing to witness, so if the seizures can be stopped then it will be a huge bonus for you all.

Good luck
Jo

mon67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »

Hello

a friend of mine has a dog with an exceptional case of epilepsy, and nothing worked with her, until he was suggested to use Topiramato (besides Keppra, Phenoleptil and Bromur). It's the only thing that has slowed down the dog's seizures (only one every 10 days).

Maybe you can tell your vet that you have heard that
Hope it works

Monica