Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: IMPA and Cancer  (Read 367 times)

Formula1fan

• View Profile
IMPA and Cancer
« on: March 10, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »

Hi all. My 13 yr old mini Dachshund Cody was diagnosed with IMPA around 3 years ago. He was initially treated with prednisone only and did well on the medication but after coming off it he relapsed within a about 6 months. He was treated the second time with prednisone together with Atopica. After being weaned off the prednisone he has been doing well on just the Atopica (3 times a week) for almost 2 years.

Unfortunately, Cody was recently diagnosed with anal sac cancer. He is doing well and we are going for staging Monday followed by surgery to remove the small mass. I was wondering if his IMPA would compromise or limit the use of chemotherapy in helping hm battle the cancer?

This forum was a wonderful resource when Cody was dealing with his IMPA and was just looking for some further guidance as we face Cody's next challenge.

Thanks so much!

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: IMPA and Cancer
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

Hi

It is good to hear that Cody's IMPA is in remission.  I am so sorry you are now dealing with another problem but it seems like you may have caught it early which is very good. 

As Cody is in remission with IMPA, I can't see how this would compromise the treatment or his battle for cancer.  I know very little about the overlap of drugs or radiation therapy that might be used, but many of the drugs used in the treatment of AI disease are chemotherapy drugs, or drugs that lower the immune response that are used as anti-rejection drugs for organ transplants.  It might be that the Atopica will be stopped and an appropriate chemotherapy drug introduced. After the staging phase the vet will know more and the treatment path will be clear.  I wish I had the knowledge or experience required to help you. 

I will be thinking of you and Cody tomorrow and wishing him all the best.

Jo

Formula1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »

Thank you Jo for your help and kind words.  :)
I will report back in the upcoming days what I learn.

Formula1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »

Update on Cody. The mass was surgically removed on Wednesday w/o complications. Unfortunately the biopsy results came back positive for anal sac adenocarcinoma. The only good news is that a CT scan prior to the surgery had showed that nothing had spread to lymph nodes or anywhere else.
We are devastated especially after he has been managing his IMPA so well over the past few years.
He is a tough cookie and a sweet boy, he'll get through this although I am not sure I will.

Jo CIMDA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:20 AM »

Hi

Well, given that Cody has anal sac adenocarcinoma, this news is as good as it can be.

He has come through the operation and it hasn't spread, which is the best news you can have!!!! For Cody to have coped so well with  IMPA and  the onslaught that the aggressive treatment brings he must be a tough cookie and this bodes well for the future.

It's going to be tough on you because you have to cope, but Cody will be oblivious to the mental stress and again that can only be a good thing for him.

I am so glad he has come through the surgery well.

Jo

The first F1 race of the season is this coming weekend - so enjoy!

Formula1fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »

Thanks for your words of encouragement! Hopefully he'll fight off this cancer with the same vengeance he did the IMPA.

I know this is not really the appropriate forum but I'll update Cody's condition.

Yes, very much looking forward to this weeks race and the start of the upcoming season. Hopefully it will signal the end of winter!

Thanks again,

John