Hello I am new member

Started by BCBeardie, June 01, 2012, 02:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCBeardie

Hello  My Beardie Hanna are new to this list.  Last Thursday was her 11th birthday and suddenly we find ourselves in crisis. 
The diagnosis appears to be AIHA which is something very new to me.  Her blood count was so low they gave her an immediate blood transfusion and started her on Prednisone.
We have made some improvement but perhaps not as quickly as the vet would have liked to see during these 7 days.  It feels like a lifetime.

I wonder how do we know that the diagnosis is correct?  Her blood count went from a low of 7 then up to 18 and now at 22.  Should this have impoved even more?
Thank you

Angela

Hi Hilda,

It does take a little time for the hct to move up, the blood transfusion buys time for the drugs to begin working.  It takes  6 days or so for red blood cells to generate & then move into the circulatory system; if she has improved from 7 to 18 to 22 in 7 days she is doing really well.  By Hanna's initial hct and her response to treatment I would say your vet has diagnosed her correctly.  Are you re-testing in 7 days?  In another 7 days ideally she should have an hct somewhere between 28 - 36, but each dog is different and it will depend a lot on Hanna and how she is coping.

I'm sure Jo will be along soon to add her thoughts  :)

Hugs
Angela (AIHA & Addison's)
NSW Australia

Jo CIMDA

Hi Hilda and Welcome

I'm sorry your Hanna has AIHA. I know how a week can seem like a lifetime!   Did the vet say if it was regenerative or non-regenerative? 

As her PVC (packed cell volume) has increased from the initial transfusion then it does sounds as if she is making new red blood cells, which is great news.  What treatment protocol is she on?  As always I refer people to the files and Michael J Day's drug protocol.  This is a very good guide to immunosuppressive treatment.  Also is Hanna on a something to protect her stomach.

A lot can be told from a blood smear eg.,  whether the immune destruction is still ongoing and whether it is non regenerative ot regenetative anaemia. If your vet takes blood then they should examine a smear to check for spherocytes and agglutination and also if there are lots of immature red blood cells (reticulocytes). This will give them a better picture of  what's going on.

Jo

Joanne

Hilda,

Is there any news today?  New blood tests?

Just  checking and thinking of you both.

Joanne
CeeCee, Evans Syndrome, Polyarthritis, ACL Repairs
Aria, IMHA/AIHA, Polyarthritis
Dizzy, kidney issues
Oregon, USA