IMHA & Heartworm Medicine

Started by Arinashdad, February 07, 2018, 10:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arinashdad

We use Heartgard Heartworm preventative for all our dogs.  I haven't given one to Puddles since the forest week in December.   Should I continue to withhold them from her for now and if so for how long?   Thank you!

Jo CIMDA

Hi

This is something for you to decide, but a dog that has had an AI disease is genetically predisposed and although you hope - or even expect to achieve remission a relapse can happen if the appropriate trigger is met, so the usual advice is to limit as many trigger factors as possible.  Vaccines, drugs, spot-on preventative treatments, infections etc., can all potentially trigger and AI disease in a genetically predisposed dog.

I went to a conference at the Royal Veterinary College by Prof Brian Catchpole.  I asked him if a dog that has had an AI disease should ever be vaccinated again or spot-on treatments used and he said No, he continued to say that the benefits have to outweigh the risks and in a dog that has a genetic predisposition to AI disease the risks are too high. 

Having said that you have to be happy and comfortable about your decision.

Jo

Arinashdad

I've never used the flea and tick preventive on any of our pets because of the potential side effects and they all stay inside, cats too.  We boarded our dogs years ago and they required a preventative and proof.  I went to Walmart and bought the preventative and just before going into the kennel I put a dab of olive oil on both their necks hoping that would resemble the real thing.  It passed and off to vacation we went.  Now we have a vet tech who stays at the house while we are gone so it's
limit their exposure.  With this being said I'll go to the extreme to keep them happy & healthy (including sleeping on the floor with Puddles) so I'm not a risk taker and think I'll continue to hold.  Our normal vet is awesome and is in it for the patient not the profit that comes from pushing pharmaceuticals so I'll get her advice also.  Thankfully it's winter and mosquitoes aren't much of an issue this time of the year.  Thank you again!